Jazz people

I have a bunch of these Mosaic sets and they are awesome. The quality is unsurpassed, though they are a bit pricey.

Stan Getz: The 1953-54 Norgran Studio Sessions (4 Audiophile LPs)

(Release Date; May 2011)

Even in a career as celebrated and prolific as Stan Getz's, there are pockets of neglected gems that dot the landscape. In the case of Getz, one of those overlooked areas is his 1953-54 Clef Norgran recordings with a working quintet that included valve trombonist Bob Brookmeyer and pianist John Williams. The band recorded several excellent albums for Clef and Norgran during those years, but when Clef and Norgran were phased out and the material was recycled on Verve, the tracks from these recording sessions were scattered over many 12" LPs which combined them with other groups from other sessions and some were forgotten altogether.

So the impact of the body of work that this group left behind was diluted by the manner in which it was re-released on Verve in the decades that followed. This Mosaic LP-only set returns to the original LP masters and sequence to restore clarity and shape to this exceptional quintet.

When Brookmeyer left Getz to join Gerry Mulligan, legendary trumpeter Tony Fruscella replaced him in the final months of the band, long enough to record two extended tunes included here. Midway through the quintet's life, Getz recorded a little-known but superb quartet session with Jimmy Rowles, Bob Whitlock and Max Roach, the four sides of which were also released in splintered form throughout the hears.

Now all of this material is gathered in one place on four 180-gram audiophile LPs with three previously unissued alternate takes and the 78 take of "Pot Luck", giving the music its full due and historical perspective.

In the 80's, Original Jazz Classics repressed a lot of the great labels catalog (Blue Note, Prestige, Riverside, etc), and for the most part, they were less than $10. Blue Note is reissuing a lot of the classic stuff now on 180-200 gram vinyl now, a lot of the time, spanning two discs and at 45 RPM. Those are running $40-50 new.

The thing is, the beauty of eBay and Amazon, things can be purchased cheaper a lot of times. I got a test pressing on 180 gram of Coltrane's "Blue Train" for $40 PPD via eBay.

I can't answer any of the above questions. All I know is I've got three Miles Davis box sets, two Monk sets. a couple Coltrane sets and a bunch of the reissues (including Blue Train which sounds awesome) and they all sound unbelievably good. I'm always shocked at how the rips I make from the vinyl sound better than most CDs I own.

So totally recommended. One thing: they pack large orders for shit.

I love jazz. Have for years. I've lived in New Orleans (birthplace of jazz) for 5 years now. I struggle with paying boatloads for an original Blue Note of something or just buying the reissue which sounds way better. I like the collectability of the originals.

That said, I only have one original. About to get a Miles Davis album that's original on Prestige. My record store has it for $40 which is way under priced. The jacket isn't in great shape. "Cookin" it's a great record.

"Cookin" it's a great record.

+1 for some MDQ.

Sort of hilarious story: I bought the newest Arcade Fire from a local record store when it came out and paid $26.99. Shop Radio Cast had it for something nuts like 16.99 at one point, so I picked it up there and planned on taking the other copy back. Then my store got in "Cookin" by Miles Davis Quintet. I knew that's what I was going to trade it for.

I thought it was a later issue but it's not. It has the 446 W. 50th Street label, which indicates it's a second or third pressing. The cover is taped together, and the record isn't mint, but in very good condition. They had it for $30. So I traded in Arcade Fire and spent a couple bucks. When I tested it at the store, it was great.

I just listened to this for the first time tonight and woah, it's phenomenal. A new favorite of mine. I like "Workin" a lot but this may top it.

So, all in all, I traded Arcade Fire's 2010 release for a release from 1957. I think I made the right call, haha.

A similar one just ended on eBay a few days ago. I'm not saying it would go for this much because of the wear but I got a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILES-DAVIS-w-JOHN-C....item1e 6146e3fc

You made a wise choice. Arcade Fire is one of those bands like Modest Mouse or whatever that I just can't get into. To me it just sounds like generic indie rock nonsense. "Workin'" on the other hand was rather revolutionary, as were many of Miles' recordings.

And I know I'll be called a philistine by a lot of people but I really think Miles' latter-day material, the fusion/progressive stuff like "...Jack Johnson..." and Bitches Brew (not so much "You're Under Arrest et. al) is great. It's funky certainly, which is a turnoff to a lot of people and for good reason. Funk, or at least the skeleton of its groove, has been taken over by shitty college bands trying to "get people on the dance floor." All this to say Miles was probably bored and got into some weird, wacky stuff for a while. So what?

Jeez, I should have writen a term paper on the latter-day music, the good and the garbage, of great jazz musicians. For instance I love Sonny Rollins with a passion. Like a sick obsessive passion. His music speaks to me like nothing else, aside from a few punk albums from my youth. But the last 15 years of his creative output has been pure junk IMO. JUst stuff to please the increasingly ignorant and goobery audience. So there.

You aren't speaking heresy, regardless of your misguided appreciation for the fusion stuff over his bebop and hard bop records. So there you go :)

I'm joking. Really, I like the experimentation that brought about Bitches Brew. I agree, he was bored but I think the heroin addiction helped. But I'll never trade those records from 56-59.

You mention Rollins...I came across a OJC repress of "Sound of Sonny" a couple of years ago and I was blown away. I think he's my favorite saxophonist now, even over Coltrane. I have been trying to digest as much of his stuff as possible. Sax wise, Coleman Hawkins is a favorite too.

So, yes, Cookin' was a great investment, even though I got another copy of Arcade Fire.

My bad.

This long sentence

"And I know I'll be called a philistine by a lot of people but I really think Miles' latter-day material, the fusion/progressive stuff like "...Jack Johnson..." and Bitches Brew (not so much "You're Under Arrest et. al) is great.

...led me to believe you liked it over. Clearly, you said 'great' not better. So, my apologies.

You own in original Blue Note stuff? I only own like one thing (a Donald Byrd record) and it's not a 50's or 60's album so no real vale.

So, all in all, I traded Arcade Fire's 2010 release for a release from 1957. I think I made the right call, haha.

+1

And I know I'll be called a philistine by a lot of people but I really think Miles' latter-day material, the fusion/progressive stuff like "...Jack Johnson..." and Bitches Brew (not so much "You're Under Arrest et. al) is great. It's funky certainly, which is a turnoff to a lot of people and for good reason. Funk, or at least the skeleton of its groove, has been taken over by shitty college bands trying to "get people on the dance floor." All this to say Miles was probably bored and got into some weird, wacky stuff for a while. So what?

Jeez, I should have writen a term paper on the latter-day music, the good and the garbage, of great jazz musicians. For instance I love Sonny Rollins with a passion. Like a sick obsessive passion. His music speaks to me like nothing else, aside from a few punk albums from my youth. But the last 15 years of his creative output has been pure junk IMO. JUst stuff to please the increasingly ignorant and goobery audience. So there.

+1 when I can again. WZ gets "compared" to Miles (more referenced if anything) of that era, though we are nowhere near as badass haha.

Backed on Sonny Rollins.