band i just recorded at my house.

some friends of mine just started a new band, so i said i would record their demo for them. they're pretty rad! fast, shreddy, and really catchy.

recording nerds, let's nerd out on recording stuff!

non-recoridng nerds, if you want some new tunes to check out click below. they're called They Stay Dead...

stream: http://theystaydead.bandcamp.com/

download: http://www.mediafire.com/?jefaxgf68imdkb6

bring the nerdom....

you didn't use auto-tune b/c it's ruining the music industry.

you used tape, b/c it limits the amount of editing you can do...and if done correctly sounds brilliant...

you recorded at your house, so I hope there's some bathroom reverb in there somewhere....

it'd be awesome if you didn't use Pro Tools

it'd be awesome if you use decent Mic Pres

What was your mic set-up for the drums specifically...how long did you guys spend on drums sounds...how long on tuning the drums

How many guitar sounds to you try out before you stuck with this guitar sound.

what was your set-up for recording bass?? mic the cab? DI into the board? Compression ratio??

awesome! here we go....

nope, no auto-tune, but i'm pretty meticulous with tracking and comping. though, auto-tune or melodyne, when used sparingly and correctly, are very valuable tools. i'm not someone who just ignores them on a moral standpoint.

you used tape, b/c it limits the amount of editing you can do...and if done correctly sounds brilliant...

no tape. all digital. same opinion with editing as tuning: it's a valuable tool.

you recorded at your house, so I hope there's some bathroom reverb in there somewhere....

nope, all in the box verbs.

pro tools all the way.

yup! API 512c's.

What was your mic set-up for the drums specifically...how long did you guys spend on drums sounds...how long on tuning the drums

kick inside: d112. kick outside: md421. snare top: sm57. snare bottom: c451b. toms: e604. hat: ksm137. ride: c451b. OHs: km184. Rooms: e300.

sounds came together pretty quick. probably a couple hours between throwing the mics up and having the EQs dialed in. tuning was quick cause the drummer knew how to tune well.

not many. we kinda knew what we were going for. it's pretty meat and potatoes. we threw a boost and comp pedal in line for the leads.

what was your set-up for recording bass?? mic the cab? DI into the board? Compression ratio??

went DI. i think i did 6:1, but it might have been 10:1.

awesome! here we go....

nope, no auto-tune, but i'm pretty meticulous with tracking and comping. though, auto-tune or melodyne, when used sparingly and correctly, are very valuable tools. i'm not someone who just ignores them on a moral standpoint.

no tape. all digital. same opinion with editing as tuning: it's a valuable tool.

nope, all in the box verbs.

pro tools all the way.

yup! API 512c's.

kick inside: d112. kick outside: md421. snare top: sm57. snare bottom: c451b. toms: e604. hat: ksm137. ride: c451b. OHs: km184. Rooms: e300.

sounds came together pretty quick. probably a couple hours between throwing the mics up and having the EQs dialed in. tuning was quick cause the drummer knew how to tune well.

not many. we kinda knew what we were going for. it's pretty meat and potatoes. we threw a boost and comp pedal in line for the leads.

went DI. i think i did 6:1, but it might have been 10:1.

I dig most of this....with the exception of the editing/auto-tune and double miked snare....i just personally feel that auto-tune, while can be useful and save time, just too easy, make somebody sing in tune, if they can't, they shouldn't be recording, if they can't keep their guitar in tune, or play their part right (beat Dr.) they shouldn't be recording their instruments. and I guess I just for my recordings that I've done, I don't have a set up where double miking can be done with any level of success, always just takes up too much room in the mix, but I'm using essentially amateur gear...always seems like way too much attack when miking below. I also try and use some kind of natural reverb whenever, just always end up having fun experimenting with where to place the mic and where vocalist should stand, which specific direction they should face...but that's all preference, if I could get decent in the box reverb, I'd probably end up using it for consistency

I don't have a set up where double miking can be done with any level of success, always just takes up too much room in the mix, but I'm using essentially amateur gear...always seems like way too much attack when miking below.

i use the snare bottom to pic up the rattle of the snares. i get the crack and body from the top and then mix in the bottom to get that snare buzz where i like it. it doesn't take up anymore room in the mix, just kinda fills out the snare sound. when you've tried a bottom snare mic, have tried pointing the mic directly at the snares?

I dig most of this....with the exception of the editing/auto-tune and double miked snare....i just personally feel that auto-tune, while can be useful and save time, just too easy, make somebody sing in tune, if they can't, they shouldn't be recording, if they can't keep their guitar in tune, or play their part right (beat Dr.) they shouldn't be recording their instruments.

sorry, i thought about this part a little more...

it's not even a time thing. there are just instances where you get that really special take, one that you can't simply recapture by doing it again because it had an unexpected character. to throw it away because one word may be a little flat is silly.

my personal feeling is that the end result is what's important. there are terrible musicians out there who write great songs. just because you kind of suck at playing guitar doesn't mean your tunes don't deserve to be recorded and heard. if it takes a little nudging to make it work (and the person at the keyboard knows how to do it inconspicuously), then that's what it takes. the song is what's important. i don't care how good a band can be live. i'm not mixing their show.

and you gotta remember, even good players can get red light fever.

I don't have a set up where double miking can be done with any level of success, always just takes up too much room in the mix, but I'm using essentially amateur gear...always seems like way too much attack when miking below.

i use the snare bottom to pic up the rattle of the snares. i get the crack and body from the top and then mix in the bottom to get that snare buzz where i like it. it doesn't take up anymore room in the mix, just kinda fills out the snare sound. when you've tried a bottom snare mic, have tried pointing the mic directly at the snares?

the few times I tried to double mic a snare...it was literally upside down completely perpendicular facing right at the snares...just didn't like it, I dunno, I'm no pro, but thusfar I havn't found any instances where double miking the snare or Kick drum have panned out...I'd rather just get a decent stereo image from a couple of over heads and a room mic and keep it simple....but I've also never really recorded anything really really aggressive where each drum needed heavy articulation