weird record issue...

I recently picked a record that appears to have something stuck/melted to it's surface. I got it as old unsold stock from a distro, so in theory it has not been touched since being packaged. When i took it out of the sleeve i noticed a small black spot (~ size of sesame seed) stuck to the one side of it's surface, which is colored clear vinyl. It is flattened, hard, and won't come off. It appears like it might be a piece of black vinyl squished into record. There a a few smaller black spots inside the record. However, this spot is above the grooves and has a definite edge. If a piece of black vinyl got on the biscuit or was left on the stamper i would think it would melt completely. Unless a piece fell on the still warmish record and then it cooled in place, but i am not sure how that could happen. Any thoughts?

The stampers get wicked hot, > 1000F, but maybe for some reason one black nugget was left on the stamper or something or the record was on the bottom of the spindle and a rouge nugget was pressed into it. it just kind of blows as it was a sweet find - HWM Caution - Red/Yellow split. That affected track is unplayable. Otherwise, it's in near mint condition.

The stampers get wicked hot, > 1000F, but maybe for some reason one black nugget was left on the stamper or something or the record was on the bottom of the spindle and a rouge nugget was pressed into it. it just kind of blows as it was a sweet find - HWM Caution - Red/Yellow split. That affected track is unplayable. Otherwise, it's in near mint condition.

I had a similar issue with my Weezer - Buddy Holly single. I was actually able to remove the piece (after much coercing) and the record plays beautifully now. Don't ask me what it was, but I definitely believe we ran into the same problem.

also, records are molded at around 300 degrees, give or take. 1000 would burn the vinyl

fair enough, it's just under 200 C at nearly 100 tons of force - my hyperbole got the best of me. one thing that i learned semi-recently is that the labels are attached during the pressing, not glued on afterwards...

I had a similar issue with my Weezer - Buddy Holly single. I was actually able to remove the piece (after much coercing) and the record plays beautifully now. Don't ask me what it was, but I definitely believe we ran into the same problem.

by the by, how did you get it off? When i though it might be a piece of schmutz i was tried using some record cleaner and a brush to no avail. I haven't gone to crazy for fear of scratching it up in the process.