RIP music stores?

Richmond Hill. both the sunrise here, and in newmartket are gone. the closest one is now at the sheppard centre. i've always had to go downtown to buy vinyl, but its starting to look like i'll have to do that for cds too ???

Richmond Hill eh. The record shops are probably going out of business because they stopped stocking Chris Sheppard and Tiesto albums.

psht! burlington is only 40 mins away, and not any different!

no. there are tons of independent places all over the world that can be supported still and are still in existence.

youre just doing it wrong.

pretty much..

i don't see how our puny city can have 10+ record stores at any given time while others are having their one store close. must be those people who would rather buy online than support city businesses.

oh titus, i heard some shit about your record store this weekend.

all positive.

well to be completely fair, your city also has a ridiculously high percentage of "hip" young music aficionados. Which are the target demographic of vinyl.

There are less and less old people who still collect vinyl. Those that do got them years ago and are dying off leaving them in the hands of their middle aged family members who want nothing to do with them.

Its difficult for a record store not aimed at the young and hip to survive.

Which is why places like austin, portland, minneapolis, richmond, seattle, etc all have multiple record stores because they are hipster meccas

well to be completely fair, your city also has a ridiculously high percentage of "hip" young music aficionados. Which are the target demographic of vinyl.

There are less and less old people who still collect vinyl. Those that do got them years ago and are dying off leaving them in the hands of their middle aged family members who want nothing to do with them.

Its difficult for a record store not aimed at the young and hip to survive.

Which is why places like austin, portland, minneapolis, richmond, seattle, etc all have multiple record stores because they are hipster meccas

you'd be surprised on the demographic of people that buy here. it's pretty much across the board. usually RSD is the big kicker on how to get some perspective on age groups that buy vinyl. it's pretty sporadic. the average age group is probably around 35.

the funniest part is the hipsters who come in to look at the vinyl like it's a fucking' museum and they are relics. They don't even buy. I was looking through the used section when 2 hipster kids were just fumbling through them and saying stuff like "oh my god, why would anyone buy something so big to hear music when they can just download the mp3" or "my dad has some of these around the house. i don't get it". then one of their dads comes around the corner to check the used section and tells them to get the fuck in the car if they aren't going to get anything or he's not taking them to P. Terrys. made me happy.