RIP music stores?

My local mall (and one a little north of me) recently closed the sunrise records and replaced it with a fast food thai restaurant. i was super bummed. i went to the mall today to grab the new rise against cd only to find that the HMV is closing and therefore no longer stocking new releases. finding vinyl around here has always been difficult, but cds? the used shop closed a few years ago and there are no independantly owned places and i was forced to buy Endgame from Zellers (a crappier canadian version of target).

between digital downloads and mail order, are all the actual stores gonners? fack.

What city in Ontario are you in?

Luckily in burlington we've got an amazing independent record shop downtown that's been there forever.

The guy that runs it will pretty much order anything you want which is nice.

He keeps a solid selection of new music on cd and vinyl too.

Richmond Hill. both the sunrise here, and in newmartket are gone. the closest one is now at the sheppard centre. i've always had to go downtown to buy vinyl, but its starting to look like i'll have to do that for cds too ???

which ones? I was thinking of moving back to AZ this fall/winter possibly! is Stinkweeds still around?

I haven't been in a while, but they were last I checked. (Used to work right down the street, so I used to go a lot more)

Eastside Records in Tempe just closed this year. Circles Records & Tapes also closed. And not a huge loss, but the Zia Records near my house closed not long ago.

Luckily in NJ local record stores are still doing great while the FYEs are closing down and Best Buys are shrinking their CD section more and more everyday.

I wouldn't say great. The only 2 real stellar stores are Vintage Vinyl and PRex. I've been to a couple other small ones in SoJerz, but their new vinyl prices were through the roof. NorthJerz all there is is really Scotti's. They are meh all around (and they even closed some 3-4 of their stores). If you're willing to travel, there are a couple good options, but I could use a few more local stores with decent stock.

which ones? I was thinking of moving back to AZ this fall/winter possibly! is Stinkweeds still around?

I haven't been in a while, but they were last I checked. (Used to work right down the street, so I used to go a lot more)

Eastside Records in Tempe just closed this year. Circles Records & Tapes also closed. And not a huge loss, but the Zia Records near my house closed not long ago.

i used to frequent Zia in Tempe on Ash/Mill area and Eastside. i haven't even been back to AZ in like 6 years, since the last Coachella i went to. bah. i miss Stinkweeds even though their selection wasn't THAT big or anything. i'm sure they've beefed up the vinyl section over time though. Eastside wasn't bad but i don't recall it being much for finds.

i used to frequent Zia in Tempe on Ash/Mill area and Eastside. i haven't even been back to AZ in like 6 years, since the last Coachella i went to. bah. i miss Stinkweeds even though their selection wasn't THAT big or anything. i'm sure they've beefed up the vinyl section over time though. Eastside wasn't bad but i don't recall it being much for finds.

Stinkweeds has decent selection, but that place is tiny. More than a couple people in there and it's just too much. (Place was absolutely ridiculous on RSD)

The Zia in Tempe is still there. I think the only one of them to close was the 40th/Thunderbird one.

What city in Ontario are you in?

Luckily in burlington we've got an amazing independent record shop downtown that's been there forever.

The guy that runs it will pretty much order anything you want which is nice.

He keeps a solid selection of new music on cd and vinyl too.

Richmond Hill. both the sunrise here, and in newmartket are gone. the closest one is now at the sheppard centre. i've always had to go downtown to buy vinyl, but its starting to look like i'll have to do that for cds too ???

Richmond Hill eh. The record shops are probably going out of business because they stopped stocking Chris Sheppard and Tiesto albums.

Luckily in NJ local record stores are still doing great while the FYEs are closing down and Best Buys are shrinking their CD section more and more everyday.

I wouldn't say great. The only 2 real stellar stores are Vintage Vinyl and PRex. I've been to a couple other small ones in SoJerz, but their new vinyl prices were through the roof. NorthJerz all there is is really Scotti's. They are meh all around (and they even closed some 3-4 of their stores). If you're willing to travel, there are a couple good options, but I could use a few more local stores with decent stock.

Did Curmudgeon close? In Red Bank we have Jack's but it is a terrible vinyl spot.

Asbury Park has a shop specializing in Punk - I forget the name but it is shared with a vintage clothing shop and very much worth a stop if you are in the area.

After that it's all Vintage Vinyl and I can't do that drive too often anymore. Who remembers the 2nd Vintage location in Ocean Township? Let's say that they closed after certain employees from certain NJ HC bands stole too much inventory to fund things. I was a sad kid when that went out of business.

Did Curmudgeon close? In Red Bank we have Jack's but it is a terrible vinyl spot.

Asbury Park has a shop specializing in Punk - I forget the name but it is shared with a vintage clothing shop and very much worth a stop if you are in the area.

After that it's all Vintage Vinyl and I can't do that drive too often anymore. Who remembers the 2nd Vintage location in Ocean Township? Let's say that they closed after certain employees from certain NJ HC bands stole too much inventory to fund things. I was a sad kid when that went out of business.

One of the Curmudgeons are still open I believe. Hold Fast is the one in Asbury Park. Also there is the Record Collector in Bordentown. There is also the Record Store in Howell....I've passed it a couple times but I think they focus on comics really so I never stopped in. I should probably check it out. Maybe I'll find a 1st press GBs record in the $bin.

Also I didn't know Jack's has vinyl...I thought just CDs.

One of the Curmudgeons are still open I believe. Hold Fast is the one in Asbury Park. Also there is the Record Collector in Bordentown. There is also the Record Store in Howell....I've passed it a couple times but I think they focus on comics really so I never stopped in. I should probably check it out. Maybe I'll find a 1st press GBs record in the $bin.

Also I didn't know Jack's has vinyl...I thought just CDs.

The one Curmudgeon is still there, next to Bridgewater, but it's like 90% used old records and 10% newer stuff, and all of it is pretty disorganized. I couldn't work it. Asbury is a hike for me. North Jersey could really use a good shop or 2.

What do you think about the reemergence of vinyl record stores as CDs phase out? i have high hopes. anyone want to open a shop with me? it could be fun.