Sucker Punch

Okay I just saw it. Just gonna blurt out my immediate thoughts **SPOILERS**

After hearing everyone on the internet declare it a tremendous pile of horrendoushit I was actually quite pleased with it.

As everyone has said, it's visually cool. It's not until after the movie when you start thinking about the entire experience and story that your mind (or mine) starts picking out all the things that made no sense.

Question: How am I supposed to have any sense of emotional involvement with the story during the action scenes I know aren't really happening?

The biggest flaw I found in the movie was the sequences editing. There's a scene where the girls are trying to get a knife and it shifts back and forth between reality where they're trying to distract the cook and the "action? dream? hallucination?" where they're to dismantle a bomb. Anyway in the previous action sequences everything goes off without a hitch (not that we should care it's not fucking real). Anyhow in this sequence the cook catches them trying to take a knife and attacks one of the girls with a knife, at the last second her sister jumps in the path of the knife, in slow motion, then it cuts to the action scene. In the action scene, the sister who was about to be stabbed says a tearful goodbye because she can't get away from the bomb. So she's gonna stay behind and die. She dies but not really then it cuts back to the "real" world where she says the rest of her tearful goodbye and really does die.

Now here's my question. Why in the fuck would you show the girl about to be stabbed first? There is absolutely no mystery in what is happening in the fake scene. Wouldn't it make a bazillion times more sense to shift scenes before the sister enters the frame? What a joke. There is no way no one thought of this.

Actually the story would have been a whole lot better if it was re-edited. The whole movie I kept thinking "the high roller is the guy who does the lobotomy." So basically it was a movie that tries to be confusing and clever but reveals too damn much to be anything.

Fuck I wish I hadn't seen it now that I think about it.