ion profile lp turntable

thinking about getting one of these. i take it you need to use audacity in order to record all the way through one side as opposed to lifting the needle up after each song and exporting the track?

is this whole thing easy to use? and is it easy to use as audacity.

and finally, is it a total piece of shit other than its ability to transfer vinyl to mp3s?

word up.

I cant speak specifically to this model, i have the previous model, the ion TT USB. Obviously you get what you pay for. At least these new ones look better, and prob have some improvements.

The USB connectivity is fairly simple. took me a bit to figure it out the first time. Make sure to read through the instructions thoroughly. If you still have issues, its prob that vista is selecting the wrong device in Control Panel, Sound. ION has a Troubleshooting document on their site. Check that out if you have issues.

Audacity takes a bit of getting used to, but isn't terribly hard software. Ion includes the software for the recording, EZ Vinyl Converter or whatever. You can just hit stop record after each song and export at that point. Audacity is more used for alterations or recording an entire side and then splitting.

To be honest, i thought i would use the USB functionality a ton more than i actually do because recording and splitting an album is far longer and more complex a process than just buying the LP and finding a download for mp3's.

I can't speak for the USB turntables but plugging my RCA jacks from my TT into my laptop is pretty easy. I just use Audacity, get the whole side, insert a marker in front of each track then "Export > Multiple files" and it splits them. You will need to go in and edit the individual file info though.

As for time, it will be however long the record is + your editing time.

thanks a lot for the review. how long does it take you to record a 7"? an LP?

It records in real time. So once its all set up, just hit record, listen to/record each side, and export. If you dont care if its split by song then you're done. I just did that with Fucked Up's Coke Sucks and decided to keep it all together since it was live and i didnt feel like splitting.

Tip: In audacity, you can select what you want by just clicking and dragging across the part you want to split, leave that highlighted, click file and select "Export Selection as MP3" as compared to just the standard "Export as MP3". Prob the easiest way to split and then you dont have to do any actual cutting, saving, and reloading, etc...

Does your computer have a 1/8" mic input? Most modern computers do. That's all you need to get vinyl digital. I think you'd be better off getting a used turntable instead of getting an ION new. Do you have any used record shops in town that have used equipment to buy?

Thats actually a ridiculously great idea/way that for some reason i've never thought of. Thanks!

Use the mic input, then you don't have to put up with only 16-bit, 44khz cd sample rate as your quality ceiling. Personally I record everything with audacity at 192khz or 96khz at 32-bit floating. Then export to 24-bit 96khz. If it's going on an iPod or something stupid like that use a good dithering program and resample to 24-bit 48khz. Awesome.