Record Store Magazine

This is admittedly a very broad question, but as a longtime lurker I want to get a sense of what people are thinking and what your opinions are.

I am in the process of starting a trade magazine for record stores and the enthusiasts that frequent them. I am very much one of these people and know what I would like to see in a magazine like this which is why I’m starting one. I want it to be heavily focused on vinyl while featuring new LPs, record labels, industry news, and, of course, record stores. However, I would love to hear what people here would want to see out of a record store trade magazine, especially if you own a store or distro. Do you get enough info on new albums from the internet? Should we focus more on vinyl quality and pressings? Feature new turntable/stereo technology? More on state of the vinyl industry?

Any and all comments would be very much appreciated!

Not to poopoo your project but I can't imagine stores and industry news would be enough to sustain a printed publication. When you start getting into actual pieces of vinyl then you're stretching yourself too thin unless you're focusing on a specific genre, which again, will be too niche unless you're just doing Kinko's photocopies as a hobby. You're better off starting a blog and be happy if you get some regular readers then go from there.

I would subscribe. I think the idea is great. Frankly I don't take blogs as seriously as printed publications. I have a blog and I have never once had anything useful to say whatsoever just stupid retarded bullshit...but if I were to say print a small run fan zine it would have to be pretty insightful.

The message is the medium.

Sure a lot of people on this board would probably subscribe but how much would you pay for it? Trade publications are generally so niche they come with a steep cost to cover overhead against their relatively small user base. At said cost, the content has to be extremely compelling to get and keep subscribers paying your bills each month. Even if you're doing something like that as a hobby only (eg. putting out 500 records of your friends' shitty band) it can get old real quick when you're losing money month after month.

Just because somebody has money and/or time to print something doesn't mean it will be any less retarded than if they spray-painted it on the side of a building, that's silly. No doubt there are a slew of shitty blogs out there but there are plenty of useful, informative ones as well, ones making money even. I don't want to dwell on this topic too much since I don't really give a shit about it.. I just thought it could be an inexpensive, modern way for Ryn to test the waters.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses thus far.

Clearly anything in actual print these days -- books, newspapers, and, yes, magazines -- struggle to keep revenue above costs. For what it's worth, trade magazines do not use a subscription base as it's largely predicated on attaining advertisers to pay to get their products in front of the people in the industry -- store owners, labels, etc. I could go on with more of the details, but I'll stop there.

If anyone else would like to mention what content would be important to them it would be appreciated. Clearly every music magazine/ site/ blog/ facebook page does record reviews, but what content is lacking coverage? News on the state of the vinyl industry? Info on how to open your own store? Interviews with labels or distributors? Well known columnists?