Pretty & Nice Kickstarter

i completely agree, there really is no way of telling and deciding who deserves and who doesn't...personally, i think bands should work and make sacrifices instead of relying on other people to take care of it for them, it's become too easy, which is why i think it's kinda dumb

on the other side of things, i really dig this record and if this is the only way to get a vinyl release, i'm fine with supporting

No, Kickstarter is not dumb. Using Kickstarter to put out a record, go on tour or get a publicist is dumb. If you are a new band, you do not need to put out records or tour yet. If you have been around for years and this is your third album, maybe you should be more concerned with the fact that no label wants to put your stuff out. Pressing a record does not "legitimize" the music in any way; put out a fucking CD. If you really have to put out a record, save money. Isn't that how shit got done before the internet?

What do you think is a proper use for a kickstarter than?

I agree with you that pressing a record doesn't legitimize music, but neither does having a label release your record, and if you read my last post, you would see that we're making the same points. Bands used to have to take charge of their own "careers" by saving and making sacrifices, everyone i know has done it, myself included. A site like kickstarter is ruining the work ethic that came with being in a band, which is again, why i think it is dumb.

If at any point your comment was referencing pretty & nice, this album was released on cd, a few years ago, it isn't a new record. Perhaps there isn't much label interest in releasing an old record that was never commercially successful in the first place, while the band is actively working on new material. So, in this case seeing if there is interest isn't the worst thing in the world, in my opinion

There definitely are perks on both sides of the kickstarter argument, I don't like that it, in a way, encourages bands to be lazy...why make sacrifices when you have people to pay your way through. No one is forcing you to be in a band.

When I was actually making a focused effort to play music, I sold off anything I could, was working 2 and 3 jobs, borrowing money etc...Made sacrifices, never asked for help...did it because we wanted to play music and it was our choice...released our own music, bought our own van, made our own merch and so on

I really do not care about Pretty & Nice or any other Kickstarter band, no offense. It is crazy and backwards the way bands think these days. Myspace whoring, making 25 shirts before you have an album, touring two months into being a band, putting out records, asking for donations. I don't understand why these are the first steps bands think they need to take in order to be successful. "Oh man wouldn't it be neat if we put out a record? Yeah! Let's make a Kickstarter the kids will love to support an earnest band like us! Check out how earnest we are in this video, goofing around like normal people! Make the Platinum On Our Dick For Life $2000 package come with 10 shirts! Hand Screenprinted! Hand Numbered! Colored vinyl! So Authentic!" I bet the real conversations are even worse.

this is the only Kickstarter that matters

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1494946992/tower-of-gopals-new-album-party-in-front-merch-in