starter camera?!

what i use(d):

http://chromogenic.net/develop

additionally:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/diybw/ (use the discussion section for lots of reading)

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=31

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ (after my local purchase of initial items, its good to support the last local shops [similar to vinyl in a way], i use b&h for a lot of my shit)

for equipment i think my initial cost was 50 bucks or so. i bought a double paterson tank so i can develop (2) 120 rolls or (3) 35mm rolls. all you need is a dark area (completely dark cannot tell if you close your eyes or open), some equipment and supplies, and a kitchen sink (only loading the film has to be done in the dark). and be warned that loading the film (esp 120) can be tough, i have spent 20 minutes trying to load it before in the pitch black.

good luck.

ps: any questions just pm me. its fun and worth a shot (no pun intended) something to do on rainy days!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me its just personal preference. most of the major details are the same, navigation systems might be different, picture quality might be different. for me, i grew up using canon cameras, so i stick with them now. its kinda like a mac vs pc kinda thing. personal preference (or what you can afford, haha).

EDIT: here's a few of my photos. too lazy to dig out my external drive, so these are the unedited ones.

[image]

(Flogging Molly)

[image]

(More Flogging Molly)

[image]

(self explanatory)

and this one is washed out and lousy, but it's just so patriotic!

[image]

(Bomb The Music Industry!)

yeah, i'm still a n00b, i'm over it.

so what would be the pro's and cons for choosing a nikon over a canon, and vice versa?

anyone who knows anything about cameras will most often agree that it's pretty much personal preference. it's like asking someone whether ford or chevy is better.

i advise everyone to go to a camera store and hold both brands in your hand, take a couple shots, go through the menu systems. see which feels better. i personally use nikon because i don't like canon's menus and the way they feel when i hold them. the photo quality is pretty identical between the two brands if you shoot under the same conditions, so neither is really 'better', per se.

Ive got a Canon 50D with a 70-200mm/2.8IS, 50mm/1.8 and I just got a 10-22mm/3.5 yesterday. I used nikon for a while but made the switch to canon when I got a 70-200. I'm really glad I made the switch.

I took a pretty big hiatus from photos, other than during my travels. I was pretty uninspired to do anything, not to mention really lazy. I also had some resentment towards everyone that has a digital SLR these days but fuck it. Everyone can have those cameras, it'll just make those who are really good with photography stand out all that much more. Although I am pretty much done with concert photography unless I have some sort of exclusive access. I just don't see the point in it anymore.

I'm gonna start doing a lot of portrait stuff in the next few weeks/months. I've got a pretty interesting group of people to document down here so I'm pretty excited about that.

I shot this with the 50mm the other day when I had some nice natural lighting in my apartment. The lens is totally worth the 100 bucks

[image]

Although I am pretty much done with concert photography unless I have some sort of exclusive access. I just don't see the point in it anymore.

The lens is totally worth the 100 bucks

this and this.

i got into photography by shooting bands, and while i do occasional promos and live stuff, i don't do it nearly as much anymore. there's not really much money in it at all and i've found that all the bands i've shot want the same standard, pretty boring photos.

I havent shot anything inside a 200-1000 cap venue in probably 6 years. Totally not worth the effort and I usually end up with the same 5 boring photos, not to mention the lighting is usually god awful.

I've only really done festivals since high school and dealing with 50 other photographers who are all shooting the exact same thing is just not appealing to me anymore. Granted, I've walked away with some nice photos over the years. But most bands don't have unique stage performances so every photo is a dude playing guitar/bass with a microphone in their face :/

It's basically like collecting baseball cards. "Oh I shot Janes Addicition, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers"...cool but the photos suck cause I only had 5 minutes to do so. At least when I shot Drake I had the hook up.

Also, I've found the older concert photographers (Age 30+) to be really bitter assholes haha.

so what would be the pro's and cons for choosing a nikon over a canon, and vice versa?

canon's prime lenses cannot be touched.

ive been doing it professionally now for a few years. range from food, animals, people..etc.

worked in both film, digital...nikon and canon. if you just want to dick around, then just close your eyes and pick one.

Canon has their Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital SLR Camera w/ Canon EF-S 18-55IS Lens (refurbished) + Gadget Bag (refurbished) + 2GB SD Card for $500 - 30% off code XSRFB611 = $350. Shipping is $16. Thanks sharki69

NOTE: The SD Card & Gadget Bag will automatically be added to cart when you add the camera

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_222026_-1