Need help reparing a Sony PS-LX22

Hey guys. I'm currently repairing a old Sony PS-LX22 and I have need some help with repairing it.

The first thing is, I bought a phono pre-amp for it and I'm going to connect a ground wire to the model, I believe I have found the ground inside the model but I'm not sure. Here is the image of it below. It's the second image in the gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/qqjFq

I'm not sure if that is the ground wire all I know is that it screwed in to what I believe to be metal plate underneath the platter and then screwed onto to the board for the RCA jacks and needle wires.

Also in that gallery the first image I noticed that there is some goo on the tone arm's movement path. I don't know if it's like lubricant just to keep the thing sliding or not.

The final picture in the gallery is of a bunch of random wires coming out of the metal plate underneath the platter to the board that controls the play/stop button and eject button.

The other thing I was wondering is if I should replace the RCA cables. The unit is pretty old from what I know (at least the early '80s) and I don't know the quality of the RCA jacks because I haven't yet been able to use the unit because I need to replace the p-mount. The RCA cables are soldered onto the board so I don't know if it is worth it or not.

Thanks in advance.

First of all, why are you repairing the turntable? What's wrong with it? Have you plugged it in and at least tested whether the motor works and platter spins at both speeds? If it doesn't spin, your problem sure as hell isn't the ground wire or a little oozing grease.

Even if you can't play records yet, you need to at least plug that sucker in and see what you're working with before deciding to do some random repairs. Looks like your model isn't fully automatic, so after choosing the speed, flip the cue lever to lift the tonearm. Then manually move it over the platter, which should start to spin. Obviously, don't set the arm down unless you have your headshell / cartridge situation fixed (and there's a record on the platter, duh).

As for the ground wire, leave it alone. It looks perfectly fine. Many decks have an internal ground wire in the tonearm and there's no need to mess with that wire. In fact, I found the operating instructions and there's no mention of a ground wire that needs to be connected to your preamp or amplifier.

http://www.audio-occasion.qc.ca/pdf/manuels/Sony_ps_LX22_LX22C_ang.pdf

As for the grease, that's nowhere near the tonearm. It's by the motor and center spindle. And on that note, the manual says "The turntable requires no periodic lubrication. The motor shaft is lubricated at the factory for the life of the turntable."

In regards to the wires underneath the circuit board, leave them. They're fine. Even if there was an issue, unless you know a little something about electronics - like how to use a multimeter or read schematics - I would even attempt to mess with it. Again, if the motor spins when you move the arm over the platter, you've got no real issue with that.

Finally, don't do anything to the RCA cables until you have the table up and running. You need to give it a test run first with everything plugged in as it would normally be. At that point if there's a buzz or one of your channels is out, maybe new RCA jacks would be something to consider ... although I would also double check all the connections in between your cart and the headshell as well.

First of all, why are you repairing the turntable? What's wrong with it? Have you plugged it in and at least tested whether the motor works and platter spins at both speeds? If it doesn't spin, your problem sure as hell isn't the ground wire or a little oozing grease.

Even if you can't play records yet, you need to at least plug that sucker in and see what you're working with before deciding to do some random repairs. Looks like your model isn't fully automatic, so after choosing the speed, flip the cue lever to lift the tonearm. Then manually move it over the platter, which should start to spin. Obviously, don't set the arm down unless you have your headshell / cartridge situation fixed (and there's a record on the platter, duh).

As for the ground wire, leave it alone. It looks perfectly fine. Many decks have an internal ground wire in the tonearm and there's no need to mess with that wire. In fact, I found the operating instructions and there's no mention of a ground wire that needs to be connected to your preamp or amplifier.

http://www.audio-occasion.qc.ca/pdf/manuels/Sony_ps_LX22_LX22C_ang.pdf

As for the grease, that's nowhere near the tonearm. It's by the motor and center spindle. And on that note, the manual says "The turntable requires no periodic lubrication. The motor shaft is lubricated at the factory for the life of the turntable."

In regards to the wires underneath the circuit board, leave them. They're fine. Even if there was an issue, unless you know a little something about electronics - like how to use a multimeter or read schematics - I would even attempt to mess with it. Again, if the motor spins when you move the arm over the platter, you've got no real issue with that.

Finally, don't do anything to the RCA cables until you have the table up and running. You need to give it a test run first with everything plugged in as it would normally be. At that point if there's a buzz or one of your channels is out, maybe new RCA jacks would be something to consider ... although I would also double check all the connections in between your cart and the headshell as well.

Thanks for the response. I'm repairing simply because I don't want to buy a new record player. It works perfectly other than the lack of P-Mount (Cartridge & Needle) which was thrown away because it doesn't work and I am currently waiting on my new P-Mount to arrive. I just wanted to check and see if everything was okay as far as the mechanics go. I know about circuitry so if anything is wrong I'll be able to fix it, just wanted to check.

I really love it when people try and repair shit by themselves and they dont have a clue
I really love it when douche bags like you don't contribute to a thread and just want to talk shit because you think you have superior knowledge to someone else about the subject. How the fuck are you suppose to learn how to repair something unless you ask or get knowledge about it. I could just run blindly into the whole thing and screw it up more than it already is. So.... how does my dick taste bitch?