WTB: Old Reggae/Ska

RustyShackelford

Jump Up is really great for some of that stuff! Chuck Wren, the label's owner, does a DJ night every week at Delilah's here in Chicago and it's alway trad ska/2 tone and skinhead reggae type stuff really great. Also keep an eye out on eBay - a few years ago I was going through a huge Trojan/Studio One/Blue Beat phase and ended up making off with a collected lot of about 70 LP's for under $300. There was no crap in there either - all stuff like Toots, Don Drummond, Prince Buster, Harry J, random label comps from Kong, Studio One, Mudie's and Trojan, etc. My Jamaican collection swelled after getting that first shot of LP's.

They're right. Jump Up records is fantastic. I used to play in a ska-band in Elgin/Chicago called The Takeouts and got to play with some of those guys. Deals Gone Bad are awesome if you're into ska AND Sam Cooke/Otis Redding type stuff - I'd recommend the Ramblers lp. I believe Jump Up carries a few Amy Winehouse 7" boot's - One called "The Ska EP" and another called "With The Specials". Those are badass. I think her version of "Hey Little Rich Girl" might just stop the original Specials' version for me.

Burp!

They're right. Jump Up records is fantastic. I used to play in a ska-band in Elgin/Chicago called The Takeouts and got to play with some of those guys. Deals Gone Bad are awesome if you're into ska AND Sam Cooke/Otis Redding type stuff - I'd recommend the Ramblers lp. I believe Jump Up carries a few Amy Winehouse 7" boot's - One called "The Ska EP" and another called "With The Specials". Those are badass. I think her version of "Hey Little Rich Girl" might just stop the original Specials' version for me.

Burp!

Deals Gone Bad are way rad. The rest of that 7" series that included the Winehouse stuff is really boss as well - especially the one with Madonna's earliest band doing ska stuff (pre-The Breakfast Club era).

Burp!

Deals Gone Bad are way rad. The rest of that 7" series that included the Winehouse stuff is really boss as well - especially the one with Madonna's earliest band doing ska stuff (pre-The Breakfast Club era).

Whoa! No way! I had no clue about the Madonna thing! I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the tip!

Bump for ska-lovers.