fixing pops and skips?

I changed my mind - you guys should definitely try the toothpick thing.

You know what else works? Steel wool. Just buff that pop right out! Give that a go too and let us know how it turns out.

'

If I wanted to recommend using a metal I'd say to use something that wouldn't have such a broad surface area, such as a safety pin. But unless you are extremely precise, which is impossible when using such a fine sharp tool by hand on such a microscopic level, you are sure to create a new path through multiple groove walls, the very thing you were trying to fix in the first place. Not such a great idea.

going to try to clean it with store bought solution first, if i have to resort to the toothpick i will. the record is rare enough, and being a poor student sadly i really can't afford to buy another right now. thanks for all the suggestions though. i have a couple thrift store records i might try that toothpick trick with to test it out.

Be sure to report back with the results. It may just soothe the naysayers' nerves.

going to try to clean it with store bought solution first, if i have to resort to the toothpick i will. the record is rare enough, and being a poor student sadly i really can't afford to buy another right now. thanks for all the suggestions though. i have a couple thrift store records i might try that toothpick trick with to test it out.

Be sure to report back with the results. It may just soothe the naysayers' nerves.

Guest luckylacquers

it depends on what caused the pop or skip in the first place. every step in the process, including the audio itself can cause these things, as well as your system. the answer isnt simple and would take more than this message to narrow it down. having a microscope and knowing what you are doing helps.

www.luckylacquers.com

Guest luckylacquers

it depends on what caused the pop or skip in the first place. every step in the process, including the audio itself can cause these things, as well as your system. the answer isnt simple and would take more than this message to narrow it down. having a microscope and knowing what you are doing helps.

www.luckylacquers.com

Guest luckylacquers

yeah, cleaning is always a good first step. if its a new record, the more you play it, it may go away. and on a new record, if its a de-horning issue, finding the spot and polishing it with a pure cotton cloth may get rid of it as well. there are a few records out there that i have done, that had horning issues from the plating process, and one good once-over and they are gone. actually, the record cleaning solvents that they sell, even w/ small %'s of alcohol are bad for your records. all of the real old school pro's have a pure cotton baby diaper and use pure water = ph = 7.0. i dont risk anything more than that either, and i have to clean rarities for transcription all the time.

Guest luckylacquers

yeah, cleaning is always a good first step. if its a new record, the more you play it, it may go away. and on a new record, if its a de-horning issue, finding the spot and polishing it with a pure cotton cloth may get rid of it as well. there are a few records out there that i have done, that had horning issues from the plating process, and one good once-over and they are gone. actually, the record cleaning solvents that they sell, even w/ small %'s of alcohol are bad for your records. all of the real old school pro's have a pure cotton baby diaper and use pure water = ph = 7.0. i dont risk anything more than that either, and i have to clean rarities for transcription all the time.