does this kind of stuff make anyone else cringe?

[image]

Also unrelated but I was at the most recent Thrice concert in Atlanta and I saw a kid buy Major/Minor at the merch table and then take it outside to Dustin and have him sign it ON THE WAX. I died a little inside considering it's limited edition first pressing. How hard is it to get the jacket signed... honestly.

I guess this is a thread about people (who hopefully aren't you) doing stupid things with records.

The thing is most of the crafty people I know who would be into making stuff out of records would probably not think to look up how rare/important/expensive/whatever before doing their arts and crafts. I saw someone using a record as a frisbee once, and one time I was hanging one with blu-tac and someone suggested that I should put it all over as opposed to the paper in the middle where I actually put it. Can't be putting that on the grooves...

I am not opposed to getting stuff signed, I have a couple of signed pieces myself, but I don't go out of my way to get things signed and I wouldn't bring stuff to a show to get signed...well, not unless I was going to flip it or something. :P

I should be going to the record store either today or next week to look for dubstep to sell/stuff I actually want. I should probably wait until my guitar sells though. I have 2 people watching it so hopefully they have some back and forth bidding when it gets down to the wire.

The thing is most of the crafty people I know who would be into making stuff out of records would probably not think to look up how rare/important/expensive/whatever before doing their arts and crafts. I saw someone using a record as a frisbee once, and one time I was hanging one with blu-tac and someone suggested that I should put it all over as opposed to the paper in the middle where I actually put it. Can't be putting that on the grooves...

Are the people hanging the wax on walls/making bowls/crafts really in a place to come across the rare stuff though? I dont really see someone who is just into how they look and using them for crafts stumbling upon Led Zeppelin 4 test press with alternate tracks.

It all depends. I have heard of artists who intentionally buy colored vinyl to use in their art, some of which were limited (not that they knew/cared). That kinda sucks, but it is what it is.

Cash in while you can before people forget about dubstep in a year lol.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!

It all depends. I have heard of artists who intentionally buy colored vinyl to use in their art, some of which were limited (not that they knew/cared). That kinda sucks, but it is what it is.

And sadly... this...

On the note of getting the actual vinyl signed, though I'd never do it since there is a sleeve that is perfectly suitable for those "needs", I have HEARD/READ that those signatures don't really affect the playback...

I don't know what to think about statements like that, as they don't make sense to me, but since I've never done it, I've never experienced it, so I can't say whether or not that's true. Maybe I'll find some piece-o-shit-wax and scribble all over it and report back.

so you are telling me that a copy of vheissu signed on the wax would somehow be less valuable? im not sure i believe that, if anything something like that would have to increase the collectibility of the piece

Who is this directed toward? I don't see anything in the thread that says anything contrary to what you're asking about.

Either way, I don't doubt that it would increase the value, but in terms of playback, I don't know that a serious collector (in the sense of someone who is buying to listen and not to posses a range of variants) would bite there. That is, of course, unless that person actually knows how signed wax sounds and if it sounds no different at all to an unaltered press, and therefore doesn't/wouldn't/shouldn't care (save for maybe financially).

Anyways, getting something signed to increase its value seems a little rude to me (I mean no offense to you or anything; just my honest opinion here). Profit for the owner and not the band(s)/label(s)? Meh... I specifically get things signed out to ME when I get them signed so I feel less drawn to the allure of those profit margins, and so people feel somewhat disenchanted about getting said item from me. For me, that's the value in the signature. Something I have that I you don't and won't have and that I don't want you to have. Ever. Besides that, anyone can go to a show, get a signature, then turn it around on eBay, but the personalized one will be the only one made out to me. Or maybe I just like feeling special and everything I'm saying means a load of shit to anyone else. Who knows?

who doesnt want their items to retain/grow in value? its just common sense, whether you sell it or not. sometimes value doesnt even mean $$$, and it shouldnt be a word that has such negative connotations, since not everyone is thinking about reselling. if i knew it didnt affect play (it probably does) i think it would be pretty neat to have something like this.

I have a record that has been signed on the record itself. It plays fine, and I never plan on selling it because it's a test press of a picture disc for one of my favorite bands (NFG). It's staying here, and one of the best parts about getting it signed was geeking out with Chad Gilbert over how I got it. And there was no sleeve for it, save for a 7" polybag. I'm not getting the polybag signed.

I get things signed when I never want to part with them. They can personalize it, they can not. It's their choice. Max Bemis just wrote his name. Dave Hause wrote "To Andrew and Emily, Don't break up!" on one of my screen-printed covers for Resolutions. It's something I enjoy doing, and I like seeing what they'll put down if they put more than their name.

who doesnt want their items to retain/grow in value? its just common sense, whether you sell it or not. sometimes value doesnt even mean $$$, and it shouldnt be a word that has such negative connotations, since not everyone is thinking about reselling. if i knew it didnt affect play (it probably does) i think it would be pretty neat to have something like this.

Indeed indeed indeed.

i mean it was mentioned in the same breath as melting wax to make a candy bowl, so that implies something.

I see what you're saying. I mean, they were separate instances though. I can't imagine that the record-melter valued that record though... I mean look at it. It's filled with beads. Looks to me like someone trying to be artsy-fartsy even though everyone and their grandma probably knows how to do this kind of thing (hopefully).

I think getting it signed on the record does decrease the value. It is no longer in a mint condition. Have the sleeve or the jacket signed. But then again I think everyone overvalues what their record is worth. just because you paid 20 bucks for the new YFW on blue doesnt mean you sell it to someone for 20. It is opened, it goes down in price. Its been played, it goes down in price. Shit doesnt go up in price until it has been out of print.