Subsonic rumble..

Wondering if anyone can help me out with some ideas. I have a Rega RP-1 TT that I've had for about a year and everythings been fine. A month or so ago I upgraded its stock cart with an Ortofon 2M Blue. It was fitted by a Rega dealer and everything sounds even better.

I've noticed though lately that I'm getting quite a lot of low bass rumble when the needle drops or on lead-out. On some records, even its even quite loud of playback. At decent listening levels, it's really quite bad, I can see the sub's woofers boucing around like crazy.

I'm running the TT through a Cambridge Audio 640p phono stage and the funny thing is, with the subsonic filter turned "on", the issue actually gets worse! If I turn it off, it's still there but nowhere near as bad.

I'm not quite sure if it's the 640p has gotten a fault with the filter, or if it's an issue with the setup of the new cart, or even if a bearing has stuffed up.

Any ideas guys?

What do you have the TT sitting on furniture wise? Have you tried isolation? Have you tried moving it to a different electric outlet? Cleaned connection points? Cleaned stylus (I know its new)? Does it differ between 200g records and 100g records? Have you tried a record clamp? Record weight?

There's a lot before you can diagnose.

Yeah it could be many things, but lets consider that everything is hooked up and balanced correctly cause a dealer set it up for you.

Easiest thing to first try is get a ground loop isolator cable and try putting that in your setup to minimize and ground issues that you are hearing once the music stops.

if it goes away completely when you turn the volume and/or bass down it could be low frequency feedback coming back through your needle from the speakers. the needle is essentially like a microphone or guitar pickup in that respect. i get this sometimes when i dj and it's quite annoying. the only thing i can think of is to get your turntable farther away from your speakers.

Thanks for tips guys! Much appreciated. The TT is sitting on top of a media tower that has glass shelves coming out of each section and honestly, it isn't that stable. If I walk hard enough it will wobble. The sub is to the left of it and then the left speaker is on it's right. It's never really been so noticable which is why I think that maybe now I've upgraded the cart, it's picking it up a lot easier.

I don't have anything to sit the TT on at the moment but I'll definitely try placing it somewhere else and test a culprit record.

I've noticed too that when I turn the platter around, the spindle makes a little noise. Like a creak kinda. Not sure if that would be enough to cause this?

I'll look into this ground loop isolator thingy. Would it still be beneficial since the Rega self grounds itself?

My other thought is that perhaps the CA 640p could be at fault as when I switch the 'subsonic filter' off, it actually reduces the rumble compared to when it's on. And then the next day it was the opposite!

The first thing you should consider is wall-mounting the turntable. Also, if you have the material, you should try putting a piece of foam (1-2 inches thick) on the top shelf of the media tower, and a slab of granite or similar on top of it. This makes a pretty good (cheap) base for the turntable.

Regarding the noise of the spindle, do you mean that you get that when you spin the platter? This shouldn't happen at all.