Replacing a needle/cartridge

Alright, I know it's mediocre

But at the moment I have a Ion Profile Pro

It's okay, but I'm pretty certain the needle to be replaced. I know Ion offer a stock replacement, but I'm pretty certain it's a sapphire tipped round needle for $20.

I've never replaced a needle before and know little about. I've been searching for a while now but I'm still a little confused. Are there manufacturers who make needles separately? Or do manufacturers make them for their own tables? I'm leaning towards the first from what I've found but I'm not totally sure.

If yes, is it even possible to replace the needle or cartridge on an Ion with a non stock model, and can you even align the cartridge correctly? I saw a lot about this here and on other websites.

I wish I could get a better table, but I've been scouring thrifts stores for a long time now and have yet to find something worthwhile. Eventually I'm going to have an AT120 but I need something to hold me over until then.

i'm sure there isn't much of an upgrade path for Ion tables. there may be a better needle replacement for the stock cartridge, but it's really not worth putting the money into replacing the cart itself.

if you don't have any experience replacing a stylus, don't do it yourself the first time. they are extremely sensitive and easy to ruin. take it to your closest dealer, hopefully you have one, and have them replace it for you.

i'm sure there isn't much of an upgrade path for Ion tables. there may be a better needle replacement for the stock cartridge, but it's really not worth putting the money into replacing the cart itself.

if you don't have any experience replacing a stylus, don't do it yourself the first time. they are extremely sensitive and easy to ruin. take it to your closest dealer, hopefully you have one, and have them replace it for you.

in general what makes it easy to ruin, if it slides off/on to replace? Could you expand on that? I'm looking into replacing my old old ortofon soon, and seem fairly confident it won't get messed up.

in general what makes it easy to ruin, if it slides off/on to replace? Could you expand on that? I'm looking into replacing my old old ortofon soon, and seem fairly confident it won't get messed up.

Depending on the cart, it can be difficult to remove or replace the stylus. They don't all work the same way. I'm saying in general that a stylus is a very sensitive piece and with inexperience can be very easy to damage. The first time I tried to remove one I completely fucked it up trying to put it back on. If you have clear instructions for your ortofon and steady hands, you should be fine. Its just a general piece of advice to be very careful with turntable mechanics, especially the stylus. Thats what gives you the music, and even the slightest tweak can give you inaccurate playback or damage your record.