Richmond/Charlotte Travel Suggestions

Yo. I'm going on a road trip in May to Charlotte and Richmond with my lady friend. Currently debating on whether to spend 3 days/ 2 nights in Richmond and 2 days/1 night in Charlotte or vice versa. What would you guys suggest? Swaying criteria are shows, veg restaurants, used book stores, sundry coolness, and of course, record stores. Help please!

Also, names of specific places to visit in both towns would be helpful. Thanks.

RVA has 4-5 record stores, if that sways you in any way:

Plan 9 - mostly used, some new. Pricey, but I've found some winners. In Carytown, which is a great part of town to wander in due to lots of little shops and restaurants

Deep Grove - mostly newer, decent prices, super cool employees. My personal favorite

Steady Sound - comparable to Deep Grove, a little bigger. I've only been there once but I really liked it.

Vinyl Conflict - harcdcore and metal. Went there when it first opened, but it's not really my favorite genre of music. If that's your bag, then hit it up

Food:

Sticky Rice - it's where I take all my friends who have never been to RVA. Good sushi and lots of tattoos and PBR. A fair representation of the RVA 20-something scene.

Sidewalk Cafe - a RVA institution. small, dark, good music when it's not a late night on the weekend. Great food and big portions

Galaxy Diner - In Carytown, diner fair from outer space!

If you're big into beer, check out Capitol Ale House (huuuuuuuge beer list) and Commercial Taphouse (cheaper, good food, smaller list). Order a Legend Brown, what I like to think of as the hometown hero for beer.

I'm sure other RVA folks can weigh in on their favorite restaurants. I think we're a pretty big foodie kind of town.

Charlotte only has two record stores- Lunchbox records is your best bet for Punk/Hardcore but if they have rare pressings they usually go for a little less than market value.

Manifest Records- mostly main stream new vinyl with small punk section and I shit load of used 70's/80's records but sometimes you can score some good used stuff cheap.

Shows:

Amos Southend

Tremont Music Hall

The Milestone

Check Live Nation/ticketmaster for bigger shows, Rise Against, Thrice

If you want to go to Columbia SC check out New Brookland Tavern.

I can't give you an vegan places but if you like sushi try Ru San's

RVA has 4-5 record stores, if that sways you in any way:

Plan 9 - mostly used, some new. Pricey, but I've found some winners. In Carytown, which is a great part of town to wander in due to lots of little shops and restaurants

Deep Grove - mostly newer, decent prices, super cool employees. My personal favorite

Steady Sound - comparable to Deep Grove, a little bigger. I've only been there once but I really liked it.

Vinyl Conflict - harcdcore and metal. Went there when it first opened, but it's not really my favorite genre of music. If that's your bag, then hit it up

Food:

Sticky Rice - it's where I take all my friends who have never been to RVA. Good sushi and lots of tattoos and PBR. A fair representation of the RVA 20-something scene.

Sidewalk Cafe - a RVA institution. small, dark, good music when it's not a late night on the weekend. Great food and big portions

Galaxy Diner - In Carytown, diner fair from outer space!

If you're big into beer, check out Capitol Ale House (huuuuuuuge beer list) and Commercial Taphouse (cheaper, good food, smaller list). Order a Legend Brown, what I like to think of as the hometown hero for beer.

I'm sure other RVA folks can weigh in on their favorite restaurants. I think we're a pretty big foodie kind of town.

Thanks, man. Is Carytown a good place to look for a hotel? If not, what are some other parts of town that would be?