Root Canals

What's your opinion on this procedure? I had one done almost 5 years ago, and last week the crown came off. I went to the dentist, they took x-rays, and found a black spot inside the gum where the root canal was done. Now they want me to see an endodontist to check for possible infection. Re-treating and possibly new crown is gonna cost a fortune. I'm thinking about getting it extracted. It's probably safer and cost-effective down the line.

Had a root canal when I was younger, the pain from the infection was one of the worst I've ever experienced since it started throbbing Thursday night of a holiday weekend and I couldn't get to the dentist until Monday morning. Had the root canal and had to see an endodontist after for additional draining. The dude said he had never seen so much pus build up from an infection in someone's gums and it basically filled a Dixie cup. I have no idea about cost though since I was on my parents dental insurance at the time.

All I can say is better to have the procedure done before experiencing excruciating pain, especially if they found a possible infection. They should be able to find an infection before performing any major procedure.

one time i had one right on the nerve and it might have been one of the most painful experiences i've ever had. the only cure was to swish cold water in my mouth every 30 seconds until the pain made it's lovely presence know again,and again,ect.

I've had two of the procedures done and neither of them were horrible just more of a nuisance than anything the dentist was very delicate.

i had broken my back tooth eating a frozen snickers, and had it broken for a long time...i regret that. money and me being lazy made it worse....one night it just started hurting so bad, it started hurting after like 2 years! i had to call the a dentist. My dentist tried hard to convince me not to get it pulled, because im so young, and the tooth above it, would essentially be useless...anyway....i didnt have the money for a root canal, and it was a back tooth...i got that sucker pulled.

but in my mind, i did know that its possible for root canals not to stay. if it was a front tooth, probably would have thought about it more...money sucks.

What's your opinion on this procedure? I had one done almost 5 years ago, and last week the crown came off. I went to the dentist, they took x-rays, and found a black spot inside the gum where the root canal was done. Now they want me to see an endodontist to check for possible infection. Re-treating and possibly new crown is gonna cost a fortune. I'm thinking about getting it extracted. It's probably safer and cost-effective down the line.
\

I had a problematic tooth that had a root canal done, got infected because the first dentist didnt get to the bottom of the root, had ANOTHER root canal, and a couple years later it got infected a 2nd time.

At this point I said take it out, which has been a relief, however..I wish I would have taken into consideration that this gap where I once had a tooth has caused my teeth to move and shift, causing problems when I close my jaw.

So I've been deciding what to do, an Implant tooth is well over $3500 and I've been told by a friend to hold off on that as they haven't "perfected" it yet and can cause serious problems. The only other real option I have is a bridge, which is a tempory fix. (Say 10 years or so, if you're lucky)

My teeth are the only health issues I've had so I've experienced alot of dental-work+, feel free to ask me questions anytime, because that's not the only root canal I've had... :-X