Serious question - Why limited pressing?

Ok, so I always wondered why were some lp pressed in so small quantities. Like today's Sigur Ros 2xlp. They know, their label knows they could/will sell more than 1250 copies easily. Why do they press only that small number? Why not press 4000 copies, let everyone who wants one have one at a fair price?

To create a demand?

This is a real question, I really can't find a reason..

because those who get them (like me) can brag to everyone else about having them.

just kidding. I guess on rsd, it's to get everyone to come out on that day, as they will be gone quickly. If they make 4000, there will be people sitting home and getting their friends to buy it, waiting til tomrrow, etc.

because those who get them (like me) can brag to everyone else about having them.

just kidding. I guess on rsd, it's to get everyone to come out on that day, as they will be gone quickly. If they make 4000, there will be people sitting home and getting their friends to buy it, waiting til tomrrow, etc.

hmmm, that make senses! I can understantd it for RSD I guess

But it's not only for RSD. TAKK, The box set, ágætis byrjun, they are all hard to come by....

I'm only using Sigur Ros as an example, but I'm sure it's the same for a lot of artists

Which do you think will sell better?:

Pressing 1500 copies of an album and announcing "____ album now available on vinyl!"

or Pressing 1500 copies of an album and announcing "_____ album now available on vinyl, limited to 1500 copies!"

A number of higher profile artists might press their albums in small quantities and just restock as necessary. It helps turn around times and not having to worry about having excess backstock. Plus you can continually announce repressings and people who missed the previous batch will come out in swarms for the new one.