Question for those who put naked records on the floor and take pics of them.

On the post a pic of your collection thread, so many people place third records either directly on carpet or their beds. I don't get it.

Thats probably because you never actually PLAY your vinyl - The only way to keep them really dust free is run a decent needle down the groove.

Taking a record out of its sleeve (particularly if you dont have anti-static inners) and just waving it around in the air for a few seconds will attract mroe dust than just laying it on the floor (unless your floor is really cruddy, but I own (and use) a vacuum-cleaner)

The only way to keep them really dust free is run a decent needle down the groove.

That's so cute... but it's WRONG. :) On a serious note, the needle doesn't really pick up dust from the bottom of the groove, only from the sides. The dust builds up on the bottom to the point of actually interfering with the needle's position inside the groove and after a while it gets impossible to just wipe off. The only solution then is liquid cleaning. Taking a brush to the record before and after each play goes a long way.

The problem I have with people putting records on the floor is not because of dust, but the physical damage that occurs. I'll definitely avoid buying a record that's laid out this way for the picture, and dust is the least of my concern.