Help w/ a Rotel RA-913?

Since making the trek across the country, my Rotel RA-913 has been being fussy.

The right channel (and only the right channel) will make these crazy low end "whomping" sounds that will occasionally escalate to a low-end static. It doesn't matter what speakers are set up to it and it doesn't matter if I am listening to records or the aux input...or if there is even music playing at all!

Since I don't know any reputable repair shops in my new hometown, I thought I might start here to see if anyone can assist.

Any input will be gladly accepted! Thanks!

Seriously though, have you ever had it serviced ... or do you know if it has been serviced in its lifetime? It is 35 years old, after all.

So just to be clear, does the "whomping" start immediately or does it happen gradually? And can you still hear music through the noise? And then it will eventually turn to static?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for my delay in replying - I hadn't noticed that anyone had replied in this thread!

- when I moved, it was packed in a 4 mil plastic bag - taped shut - which was then placed inside of an overly large wooden box that was filled from side to side and top to bottom with large pocket bubble wrap as well as "air padding."

- the "whomping" starts immediately upon powering on the receiver & happens consistently even though music will play through the noise. It most often acts as an underlying secondary noise, but will occasionally become so prevalent that it will take over whatever is playing - but only on the right channel. The left channel is unaffected & it doesn't seem like the problem gets worse the longer it is on, but rather is totally random in it's severity. Sometimes it won't make any noise whatsoever.

- the noise will persist even if the balance is turned all the way to the left speaker. As long as there is a speaker connected, it surges and creates an audible sound through said speaker.

And I have had this unit serviced. The day that I picked it up, I took it in to have it checked over and to have all of my connections cleaned up. That was about 2 years ago. I have noticed a couple of pots that have gotten a little crackly since then, but I am confident that I can deal with that on my own. :-)