Need an IT person's opinion

Just bought a new house. The previous owner was clearly some kind of IT dude and I think was running a business out of his place. He left some stuff I'm not sure what to deal with:

1) APC uninterruptible power supply

Pic:

IMG_0345

Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-SUA3000R2X145-6-Outlet-Uninterruptible-Supply/dp/B0000E65B2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348163216&sr=8-1&keywords=apc+va+3000+power+supply

This thing is expensive as fuck! I don't know if it works or not though. Given the retail price, I'm gonna find out. Need to get a 220 volt outlet. Stove and dryer are gas. What should I do with it in either case (either works or doesn't)? Does it have scrap value? It weighs a ton.

2) About a mile of assorted cables:

IMG_0384

The blue ones are phone lines, the black ones are coax. They basically had 5 phone lines running to every room in the house and it is 2200 square feet. The basement ceiling is just a jungle of cables running everywhere. Is there someplace to sell used cables? Ballpark, what are they worth? I'm just wondering if it is even worth my trouble to get them all out.

There's some random equipment that kinda looks like a switchboard too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

With the APC, if it works you can donate it to a charity or library.. that or ebay/craiglist/etc. Someone will probably buy it for about 1/2-1/4 of the retail price depending on age/condition. It weighs a ton because of the size of the battery inside. It probably can't be easily scraped because of that. Instead, I would look for an e-waste center (http://earth911.com/) sometimes they will pay you for the stuff, but more likley they will just take it off your hands. They usually make money by selling components or melting down stuff for the copper (kinda like the cash for gold shit)

Unfortunately the same goes for all those cables.

Oh man, it sounds like the guy had a small full on datacenter going in the house. Unfortunately all that shit that is left usually has horrible resale value.

I could be wrong about all this too. I'm just going off how we at my job takes care of old stuff like this. I work for a networking company on their engineering/qa datacenter lab team.

With the APC, if it works you can donate it to a charity or library.. that or ebay/craiglist/etc. Someone will probably buy it for about 1/2-1/4 of the retail price depending on age/condition. It weighs a ton because of the size of the battery inside. It probably can't be easily scraped because of that. Instead, I would look for an e-waste center (http://earth911.com/) sometimes they will pay you for the stuff, but more likley they will just take it off your hands. They usually make money by selling components or melting down stuff for the copper (kinda like the cash for gold shit)

Unfortunately the same goes for all those cables.

Oh man, it sounds like the guy had a small full on datacenter going in the house. Unfortunately all that shit that is left usually has horrible resale value.

I could be wrong about all this too. I'm just going off how we at my job takes care of old stuff like this. I work for a networking company on their engineering/qa datacenter lab team.

Pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks! If I got 1/4 of that APC thing the retail price is about $1500 so that is awesome. If the cables aren't worth anything, I'm just leaving them. It would probably be half a day of work to get them all unhooked from the walls and collected.