Shipping entire collection overseas

is really really expensive, so please buy my records: http://www.discogs.c...moonlitdreams27

I'm moving a 400 LP collection overseas by boat and maybe taking about 50 on the plane.

All jackets are in sleeves with resealable flaps. I was at first thinking to pack the records outside the jackets to avoid splits, but not only would that take up more room (making shipping more expensive if I were to exceed a cubic meter in space, but I fear the records being squished into empty jackets will create indentations.

Anyone with any experience or advice?

Much appreciation.

never made any experiences like this.

all i can say is that seam splits are worse than indentations, as seam splits actually cause a damage to the jacket.

but perhaps i would try to keep costs as low as possible too.

when you want to keep the records inside their jackets pack the records tightly with least space possible between the records.

so they won't have enough space to move from one side to the other.

Shipped my entire collection (1000+) over the Pacific 3 times via Media Mail, once via FedEx... with the records outside the jackets. About 50-80 per box. Packed snug, no room for shifting.

No issues -aside from one box being sliced (literally) horizontally on the bottom from one side to the other creating a sort of flap.. the USPS method of verifying that the contents were truly media. Some of the plastic sleeves were cut (no carved jackets/vinyl), few bent corners; nothing major.

Should I move overseas again, I would definitely go the USPS route.. it's far more economical.

Also have a flight case which holds approx. 50 or so 12"s which I use often... as a carry-on only; no longer will I check it in, it's got a fair share of bumps and bruises from the fine folks in the airline industry.

blood, I appreciate the advice

Shipped my entire collection (1000+) over the Pacific 3 times via Media Mail, once via FedEx... with the records outside the jackets. About 50-80 per box. Packed snug, no room for shifting.

No issues -aside from one box being sliced (literally) horizontally on the bottom from one side to the other creating a sort of flap.. the USPS method of verifying that the contents were truly media. Some of the plastic sleeves were cut (no carved jackets/vinyl), few bent corners; nothing major.

Should I move overseas again, I would definitely go the USPS route.. it's far more economical.

Also have a flight case which holds approx. 50 or so 12"s which I use often... as a carry-on only; no longer will I check it in, it's got a fair share of bumps and bruises from the fine folks in the airline industry.

How much did this cost you? By media, do you mean boat? How many records per box?

How much did this cost you?

~Ranged from (approx.) $20-$50 per box.

By media, do you mean boat?

~Oddly enough, some went via boat (2-4 weeks), and some came rather promptly... via aeroplane or the like (1 week) I'm guessing...

How many records per box?

~50-80 per. I also numbered each box (ex: 1/12, 5/15, etc.)...for tracking purposes, obviously.