Feline Infectious Peritonitis

So in March my gf and I got 2 kittens from a shelter. Since then we've had to deal with ringworm, fleas, and most recently and upper respiratory infection. Last night the cat with the upper respiratory infection got way worse. He hadn't been eating so we had been force feeding him baby food with a syringe. I got home and he had puked all the baby food up and was laying in shock in the litter box. We took him to the animal hospital where they drained fluid from his abdomen and told us he had Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) and they had to put him down. Right now I'm most worried that the other cat (they're siblings that we got together) has it as well. I did a little reading on FIP and found that the longest a cat has lived with known FIP is 26 months and the FIP explains all the health issues they've had because they have like no immune system.

The dilemma I'm at is whether I should call the shelter we got them from. The vet said they probably got FIP before we got them (they're indoor cats). On one side I'm pissed at the shelter because when I buy a cat I expect that it's healthy. On the other side, there's not really a good test for FIP so there's no way they would have known. Over the past 9 months we've probably spent $1000 on vet visits. So I'm deciding if I should call the shelter and let them know/bitch about them giving us a cat with FIP. Personally, I'd really like them to pay to have the other cat tested - although I'm not sure what knowing whether or not she has FIP is going to do for me. It would also be nice to have some of that $1000 back but I'm sure that's not going to happen. In addition, the cats were part of a litter found in a scrap car yard and there were at least 4 siblings that the shelter had and I feel like they should let the other owners know that their cats possibly have FIP.

Thoughts?

Call and bitch.

I just got a 2nd dog from a shelter, and when we got him he had visible sores on him that they claimed was a chemical burn (wtf?). He wasn't responding to his medicine so I called the shelter and told them I thought the diagnosis may have been mistaken. They had us take him to another vet, who said it was ringworm, and gave him new medicine. THEN my other dog got ringworm too. I took him back to the vet for his own medicine.

The shelter paid for everything. Yours should too, at least for the exam for your remaining cat.

good luck.