Sound problems with my Turntable

So, I got a Speed Box for Christmas and hooked it up a few days ago.  After getting it hooked up, I was excited to put on a 7" to try out the "33/45 switch".  Much to my dismay, the sound was horrible.  In fact, the needle was even skipping some.  I looked around, trying to figure out what was going on, and saw that the anti-skating weight had fallen off.  Weird.  So, I put it back on, dusted the record off, and tried again.  The skipping stopped, but the popping, horrible sound was still there.  It even seemed like the sound was fading in and out.  

So, I went back to square one.  Readjusted the counter-weight on the arm, cleaned the needle, everything.  Grabbed another record, dusted it off and tried again.  Still terrible.  So, just as a trouble shooting measure, I unhooked the Speed Box and tried playing something without it.  No improvement.  Ugh.

So, at this point, based on the symptoms/issues, I'm assuming that the cartridge/needle have somehow been damaged.  I have no idea how this might have happened, but I don't know what else could be causing the problem.  It's a Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 w/ a Sumiko Pearl cartridge.  I just got the set-up pretty recently, and I've literally only used it for a few hours.  It was working perfectly the last time I used it before hooking up the Speed Box.  Any thoughts/insights?  

Thanks for any suggestions.

Why would you use a speedbox with the RPM 1.3? Switching speeds on that table is ez pz.

Very good question.  In hindsight, probably not necessary at all.  Of course, I know there are those who will tell you the speed regulation it offers will make the sound reproduction better.  But I'm not sure I buy that.  Anyway, I may end up sending it back.

Well, after taking another look at the cartridge (and at a picture of what it SHOULD look like) I think the problem is obvious. 

Still not sure how it happened.  Wondering if one my kids or their friends/cousins might have messed with it...  

IMG_4403_zps680ccdc7.jpg

Oh man, are the records you tried playing damaged?  Wow, that's pretty bad.