Paleo Diet

been doing this for over a week. made paleo wings last night. they were so good.

I've been feeling a little bit out of it, with light headaches throughout the day, but nothing major. I've read this first part is kind of like the detox period.

So I am going to go through this whole thread when I have more time but holy shit Scott, that is incredible! Seriously, congratulations.

My goal this year is to become a lot healthier. I have ha a lot of dietary issues my whole life. I was bulimic for three years, then when I hit college I completely overcompensated for it (not to mention that I used to eat a shit ton of food, but just puke it out) so I gained a lot of weight. I went from being 6'4 and about 140 to 250 at my high point. Im now around 240 and according to my doctor is is considered obese, but I am terrified of trying to lose weight and my diet as I am afraid it might bring back the bulimia that I have kept in check.

Dang man. Good luck. I want to try and help but bulimia isn't something I know a ton about. You think you could do vegetarian? A high meat / fat diet is something that requires a lot of control and calorie watching. Probably not a great plan. A vegetarian diet is more about putting yourself in the mental state to commit to it, then you can eat whatever the hell you want. 30 calories in a green bell pepper. Eat 100 of them (if you could physically do it) and you still wouldn't have a calorie surplus at 6-4 240.

I was a vegetarian for about 5 months. It went pretty good, but when my girlfriend got pregnant and started eating meat again I went back to it as well. I dont know if I could pull it off now, truth me told, Im not much of a veggie fan. I hate most greens and veggies but I do love fruit.

Don't go crazy with the drugs and supplements but when used properly, they help you get over the hills:

http://ephedrinediet.org/ephedrine-caffeine-aspirin-the-ec-supplement-stack-vs-the-eca-stack/

I take T-Bombs.  Helps you burn fat better and all that stuff just dehydrates you.  I took a thermogenic for awhile and always felt like I'd puke because I'd feel dehydrated.

Thermogenics are diuretics. So yeah, they can dry you out. Regardless of what you take, you should drink a gallon of water a day. If you do that, hydration isn't a problem.

T-bombs are a natural testosterone boosters, right? Thats what google tells me. Every one of those is a waste of money. 1) if they worked, they would be classified as steroids and illegal and 2) if they did boost testosterone, they would come with the negative side effects that accompany steroids. There is no way to take a dangerous drug and make it safe or "natural".

They are good for you, though. Probably some amino acids, antioxidants, "proprietary blends", etc. but the only reason they can put "natural test booster" on a label is that the FDA doesn't regulate sports supplements, so they can claim anything they want.

Thermogenics are diuretics. So yeah, they can dry you out. Regardless of what you take, you should drink a gallon of water a day. If you do that, hydration isn't a problem.

T-bombs are a natural testosterone boosters, right? Thats what google tells me. Every one of those is a waste of money. 1) if they worked, they would be classified as steroids and illegal and 2) if they did boost testosterone, they would come with the negative side effects that accompany steroids. There is no way to take a dangerous drug and make it safe or "natural".

They are good for you, though. Probably some amino acids, antioxidants, "proprietary blends", etc. but the only reason they can put "natural test booster" on a label is that the FDA doesn't regulate sports supplements, so they can claim anything they want.

The whole supplement industry is full of claims that haven't been backed by anyone other than other gym rats. It's a sketchy industry so you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

The whole supplement industry is full of claims that haven't been backed by anyone other than other gym rats. It's a sketchy industry so you have to take everything with a grain of salt.

There are significant amounts of medical studies (not FDA, universities) that back up some of them, and disprove others. Things like creatine and NO boosting chemicals have studies supporting them. "Proprietary blends" are specifically made to be confusing because if you research most of what is in them individually, they don't do much. Some of the key components of thermos are proven, though (things like carnitine or ephedrine).

The only substance not classified as a steroid or a prohormone that has been linked in scientific study to elevated testosterone is D-Aspartic Acid. And even that link is tenuous (if it was stronger, then the substance would be banned):

http://www.livestrong.com/article/474566-the-effects-of-aspartic-acid-on-testosterone/

I looked up the label on t-bombs and you are getting ripped off at 40 bucks a bottle. Some of that stuff is helpful to athletic performance -- minerals like magnesium and copper, flaxseed supplies omega 3s, arginine improves NO, tribulus will increase "libido" (ie, you get more boners), bioperine has a thermogenic effect. The rest of it looks like generic "proprietary blend" stuff that doesn't serve a specific purpose. Tribulus has been scientifically proven not to boost T. All of those effects could be had from the individual ingredients at half the price.

The whole supplement industry may be sketchy, but you bought into the sketchiest and least scientifically backed group of products.

I'm having crazy sugar cravings. I even just googled kool-aid to look at it. and I don't even like kool-aid.

Weird thing is I never had any sort of a sweet tooth before this. I always preferred savory or salty food over sweet.

I'm having crazy sugar cravings. I even just googled kool-aid to look at it. and I don't even like kool-aid.

Weird thing is I never had any sort of a sweet tooth before this. I always preferred savory or salty food over sweet.

i drink crystal light when im really craving something sweet-like

A lot of people claim that on a low sugar diet, their taste becomes very sensitive to sugar. Things like carrots and corn will start to taste sweet. Some even say broccoli starts to taste sweeter.

Damn, i just browsed this thread as i wait for a meeting to start, but i am really surprised/impressed so many people are doing this and being successful.  My sister started the paleo diet this year because all her cross fit friends started it and seems to be doing well considering she eats like a child most of the time.

I was doing really well just counting calories and increasing my exercise but the holidays really fucked up my momentum.  I dropped almost 30 pounds from June - November then gained 6-8 lbs back over the holidays.

Once i get home ill have to dive into this more because i need to kick start my healthy cycle again.  Still got 20-25 pounds to lose before my wedding.

I’ve lost about 1% body fat so far. I also just feel good in general, I need less caffeine throughout the day and the cravings are becoming cravings for good paleo foods. I also cut out all dairy which has done wonders for my digestion.

I made my own take on paleo spaghetti (with grilled chicken) last night.

Take a large spaghetti squash (cut in half, seeds/guts removed) this will be used in place of noodles. Place face down in about an inch of water in a cooking pan. Bake at 400 for about 40-50 mins or until you can easily poke it through with a fork.

While that was cooking I sautéed onions and mushrooms and mixed that with a paleo spaghetti sauce recipe I found (I can post if anyone wants) I also seasoned and grilled some chicken breasts on my George foreman.

After the squash was done cooking I scooped it out, added some cracked pepper and a pinch of salt. Served the red sauce with onions/mushrooms over it. Topped with the grilled chicken. SO GOOD and really satisfying.

I’ve lost about 1% body fat so far. I also just feel good in general, I need less caffeine throughout the day and the cravings are becoming cravings for good paleo foods. I also cut out all dairy which has done wonders for my digestion.

I made my own take on paleo spaghetti (with grilled chicken) last night.

Take a large spaghetti squash (cut in half, seeds/guts removed). Place face down in about an inch of water in a cooking pan. Bake at 400 for about 40-50 mins or until you can easily poke it through with a fork.

While that was cooking I sautéed onions and mushrooms and mixed that with a paleo spaghetti sauce recipe I found (I can post if anyone wants) I also seasoned and grilled some chicken breasts on my George foreman.

After the squash was done cooking I scooped it out, added some cracked pepper and a pinch of salt. Served the red sauce with onions/mushrooms over it. Topped with the grilled chicken. SO GOOD and really satisfying.

thats awesome. i have had the spaghetti before and although i wasn't a big fan; my gf loved it. we will probably try it again soon

its amazing how much more alert you feel during the day isn't it? sleep gets better, skin, hair, all that jazz.  

It’s crazy. I sleep like a rock! And my skin was always fine, but the other day one of my close friends told me my skin looked great and I was like yessss. Feels good to hear.

thats awesome. i have had the spaghetti before and although i wasn't a big fan; my gf loved it. we will probably try it again soon

its amazing how much more alert you feel during the day isn't it? sleep gets better, skin, hair, all that jazz.  

It took me two times reading this to realize you said jazz and not jizz.

What is paleo spaghetti sauce?  All spaghetti sauce is crushed/dice tomatoes, onions, and oil oil and maybe some seasonings.  Tell me what is not 'paleo' about it?

And maybe part of why I can't truly buy into this diet is because people who are really into do crossfit.  While I do crossfit style workout and like the concept, I hate the culture those places have.