Which speakers do you guys recommend? (guitar center)

im looking to upgrade my speakers for my turntalbe, for the last 5-6 years ive been using these old aiwa speakers that i got with my first stereo system when i was about 10. i finally upgraded my turntable to something decent, better than my old ION anyway, and i want some speakers that will do my new table some justice. the table is a stanton t.62.

im looking at strictly guitar center for my new speakers for a couple reasons,  i can go and actually pick them up with ease and i have a 12 months no interest card with them. id like to just take care of it there. theyve got a lot of stuff online but im not totally sure which speakers are good or which i should stay away from.

im looking in the $150-300 range. but if the upgrade is REALLY worthwhile i could always bump up that cost a little, but id prefer not to.

please send me some recommendations with what you guys think i should grab! or maybe at least what i should or shouldnt be looking for. thanks!!

one thing im worried about, which may be for nothing, is that a lot of these seem to be for in home recording and what not. i get the feeling that they arent able to be turned up loud without distortion or damage to the speaker. is that assumption true? i dont listen to my music loud extremely often, but there are times that i do and i want them to have that capability without causing any damage.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-8-Generation-2-104908686-i1401614.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-LSR-2325P-5--Bi-Amplified-Powered-Studio-Monitor-105318471-i1435841.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-MR8mk2-2-way-Reference-Monitor-106515661-i1823798.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-BX5-D2-Studio-Monitors-106885460-i2102505.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-Monitor-1-Active-MKII-Powered-Monitors-108097353-i1153172.gc

Here's your start...

im not totally sure what you mean here, if youre meaning that my price range isnt going to be enough to get quality speakers, keep in mind that im no extreme audiophile. i just want something that works and sounds better than my 15 year old aiwa speakers which are starting to crackle and go out. id obviously like to get the best quality possible, but with a ~$200 turntable, it doesnt make much sense to spend a lot more than that on speakers. like some one else said on here recently, theyll just out perform the turntable which wont really benefit me anyway.

im not totally sure what you mean here, if youre meaning that my price range isnt going to be enough to get quality speakers, keep in mind that im no extreme audiophile. i just want something that works and sounds better than my 15 year old aiwa speakers which are starting to crackle and go out. id obviously like to get the best quality possible, but with a ~$200 turntable, it doesnt make much sense to spend a lot more than that on speakers. like some one else said on here recently, theyll just out perform the turntable which wont really benefit me anyway.

He meant go on the website and only look at speakers in that price range.

I have the KRK rokit 5s they are a great monitor but not the best choice for listening. The problem with monitors is they are made to bring out each and every flaw so they can be taken care of during mixing and mastering so when they are used for listen they do the exact same thing. It can be quite irritating. 

If you're looking at staying with powered rather than passive I would recommend choosing an actual powered speakers rather than monitors.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Audioengine A5 and the A5+ is out now which has improvements from the original, and at $400 a pair you can't really beat the price. I plan on grabbing a set next month.

Are your speakers strictly dedicated to your Turntable?

I have the KRK rokit 5s they are a great monitor but not the best choice for listening. The problem with monitors is they are made to bring out each and every flaw so they can be taken care of during mixing and mastering so when they are used for listen they do the exact same thing. It can be quite irritating. 

If you're looking at staying with powered rather than passive I would recommend choosing an actual powered speakers rather than monitors

thanks, thats actually what i was wondering. i figured they were for something like that and not amazing for listening. thanks for the tip

thanks, thats actually what i was wondering. i figured they were for something like that and not amazing for listening. thanks for the tip

No worries, if I were you I'd forget guitar center and get your hands on a set of those Audioengines. The more reviews I read the better they sound.

like i said, the main reason im going with GC is just because if the 12 months no interest card. theres no way i could save up $400+ to drop just on speakers. im a guy that if i have cash after i pay bills i like to spend it.

You just really gotta stay disciplined. Its tough, but you can do it!  Make a budget. It helps a lot.

Then go for these. Great speakers at a hell of a price     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325015

You just really gotta stay disciplined. Its tough, but you can do it!  Make a budget. It helps a lot.

Then go for these. Great speakers at a hell of a price     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325015

Those are passive, he's kinda made it clear he's looking for powered.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick semi-on-topic question. These speakers are rated for 20-200w. My Marantz 2015 only puts out 15wpc. Are these speakers a bad match for my setup?

I also have a Marantz 2015 and recently got some floor standing speakers for it.  The receiver is rated for 15 wpc but I believe the ratings then and now are a little different.  Probably get more than 15.  Anyways, I don't think you need to worry about the watts so much because your max output isn't going to reach the high end of most speakers and therefore no worry of blowing anything out.  For receivers with lower wattage output you really should look at the deciBel or Sensitivity rating.  You are going to want something over 90dB.  These will represent less "power hungy" speakers and therefore be a good fit for your 2015 or other receivers with lower wattage ratings.  Basically they do more with less.  If you can get something north of 90db that's even better.  I just got a pair of these from Craigslist and they sound great:  http://www.klipsch.com/kg-3-2

So those you just linked to are rated a 91dB and should be fine depending on the price.

I also have a Marantz 2015 and recently got some floor standing speakers for it.  The receiver is rated for 15 wpc but I believe the ratings then and now are a little different.  Probably get more than 15.  Anyways, I don't think you need to worry about the watts so much because your max output isn't going to reach the high end of most speakers and therefore no worry of blowing anything out.  For receivers with lower wattage output you really should look at the deciBel or Sensitivity rating.  You are going to want something over 90dB.  These will represent less "power hungy" speakers and therefore be a good fit for your 2015 or other receivers with lower wattage ratings.  Basically they do more with less.  If you can get something north of 90db that's even better.  I just got a pair of these from Craigslist and they sound great:  http://www.klipsch.com/kg-3-2

So those you just linked to are rated a 91dB and should be fine depending on the price.

Thanks that's really helpful.