selling on discogs to european buyers

I've shipped a couple hundred packages around the world over the years and have yet to have a package not arrive, just some major delays in Brazil.  

Regarding protection, I've always figured I could use a stamped customs form receipt as my proof of mail, but haven't had to deal with it yet.

At least in Sweden, registered first class mail is trackable all the way to my local post office where I go to pickup the parcels. I'm able to track all First Class Mail International shipments (registered or not) to the sorting facility within the US, by using the customs form number that usually starts with L-XXXXXXXXUS.

understood.  but realize this does not necessarily qualify as proof of delivery for PayPal claims

Yep, with paypal you have to prove delivery to the address, and it has to be the address associated with the paypal account. If you can't do that then buyers win their disputes. Customs forms and registered mail do not help you in that instance.  This requires USPS INTL Priority, or Fed Ex, or DHL or whatever. Also, never forget that any items with a value over $250 must be insured or you can lose a claim to paypal, even if you can demonstrate the item was delivered.