Wind-Like Noise.

couldn't find an appropriate thread for this problem, so here is a new one.

to start I have a pro-ject essential. with a a pro-ject phono box MM hooked up to a denon receiver.

anyways, At the start of a record and in between tracks I am noticing a slight wind-like sound. not static or popping so the best way to describe it is like someone is lightly blowing in to a mic through my speakers. sometimes its more intense than other but its pretty consistent.  is this normal? am i going crazy? 

Beside a ghost, it sounds like it could be a tracking issue.  If the stylus is resting in the groove as it should, it should be fairly silent.  If anything, you'll hear clicks and pops from dirt, dust, static, etc etc ... but a windy noise ... no.

I would try playing around with your antiskate first.  It never hurts to re-align your cartridge as well.  It's good practice and once you get the hang of it, it's a snap.

Beside a ghost, it sounds like it could be a tracking issue.  If the stylus is resting in the groove as it should, it should be fairly silent.  If anything, you'll hear clicks and pops from dirt, dust, static, etc etc ... but a windy noise ... no.

I would try playing around with your antiskate first.  It never hurts to re-align your cartridge as well.  It's good practice and once you get the hang of it, it's a snap.

ok cool. the antiskate is pretty easy to dick around with....right now its on the middle notch (as recommended) ive never aligned a cartridge....so that will be interesting. thanks man. 

yup just adjusted my antiskate, it most definitely got rid of most of the noise. its still there, but way less. im going to research how to align a cart properly and do that at a later date.

but what are the odds that the cart has come out of alignment? ive only had the thing for like 6 months

well, after checking the alignment everything seems to be in order.......I think.

i tried out a few records and the noise seems to be more predominant on only a few, out of the 5 that i tried. its really not even that bad anymore, its just my OCD taking over at this point.

as a side note, I tried hooking up straight to the phono input on my receiver......sounds fucking gross.