Bought an old Emerson on Craigslist...Now What?

I've been using one of those Crosley all-in-one units for a few years now, and while I'd like to get a much nicer setup, money is tight and it's not super far up on my list of priorities at the moment/ I'd like to stray away from the "give some handys to some randoms for your setup $$" as I've seen in other posts, haha. 

I saw this on my local Craigslist this morning and decided to go check it out. Ended up talking the guy down to $30, and I'm pretty happy overall. Everything seems to work as it should, even the speakers aren't terrible (not pictured, old bookshelf speakers) for the time being, and when I use the radio it sounds fantastic. My vinyl sounds decent on it as is, though every now and then the tonearm will skip a bunch, while other times it works normally. The only other issue with playing records is that, from time to time, there is a ton of cracking and popping so I'm guessing maybe it needs a new needle? I'm really new to all of this if you can't tell. 

This is the only thing I've ever owned aside from the Crosley so I did some searches on Google about tonearm adjustment, but it doesn't seem to have a counterweight on the back. There are two pieces to it that turn, one on the front and one on the side, but I can't really tell what either of them do. 

All in all, I'm excited to get this up and running properly, it's going to be a lot nicer than my last and I've already listened to a few things that sound worlds better.

Anyway, I would love any insight that you folks could possibly give me on how to get this thing in proper working order. 

Thanks!

image.jpeg

photo.JPG

image-2.jpeg

image-1.jpeg

The BSRs are not horrible record players.  For what they are (entry level, affordable changers), they do a good job.  They are also a good place to start if you're interested in learning how some turntables operate; the mechanisms are fairly simple, clean all the parts up and re-lube, get a new stylus (needle), and have fun getting into it.  I would guess yours has an idler-wheel, so you'll want to check that the rubber is not hardened.  There are service manuals out there.

While I can't completely disagree that these aren't the 70's or 80's versions of Crosleys, they do have for them that they're still around.  I highly doubt Crosleys are going to be much more than paper weights in 30 or 40 years - and that's probably being optimistic.

You may also want to open up the receiver and clean the controls with some contact cleaner, that should help with some of the noise you're hearing (unless it's all coming from your records).  Search a bit on how to clean pots, points to lube, etc.

The BSRs are not horrible record players.  For what they are (entry level, affordable changers), they do a good job.  They are also a good place to start if you're interested in learning how some turntables operate; the mechanisms are fairly simple, clean all the parts up and re-lube, get a new stylus (needle), and have fun getting into it.  I would guess yours has an idler-wheel, so you'll want to check that the rubber is not hardened.  There are service manuals out there.

While I can't completely disagree that these aren't the 70's or 80's versions of Crosleys, they do have for them that they're still around.  I highly doubt Crosleys are going to be much more than paper weights in 30 or 40 years - and that's probably being optimistic.

You may also want to open up the receiver and clean the controls with some contact cleaner, that should help with some of the noise you're hearing (unless it's all coming from your records).  Search a bit on how to clean pots, points to lube, etc.

I definitely want to use this as a learning platform before I jump into anything expensive. I'm hoping that by the time I can afford an ok setup that I've done enough tinkering with this one to know what I'm doing. Stupid question, but would I need to get a BSR stylus specifically or are they more universal? Definitely going to be digging around the web and howstuffworks to get a grasp on what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the input Toxie. 

Have you still got the crosley?

I do, but I'm going to keep it around till I have this guy up and running properly.

This makes me sad.

Didn't mean for my questions to bum you out. But hey, chin up. It's just the internet. 

Stupid question, but would I need to get a BSR stylus specifically or are they more universal? Thanks for the input Toxie. 

No, you just need to find the model of your player, which is most likely on a sticker on the underside of the table.  Turntableneedles.com, ebay, needledoctor.com, etc will have what you need, or I can help.  You should also be able to find a user's/service manual at vinylengine.com.  A replacement will cost you about $10.

Glad I could help!