Pioneer PL-600 (Black). Buy or Avoid?

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a turntable for awhile now on Craigslist, eBay, etc. and I haven't been able to find any good ones that aren't too expensive. I found this and was wondering what you guys thought. It's a pretty cheap price and it would only be a temporary turntable until I can afford a better one. Should I buy it or avoid it like the plague? 

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/ele/3860213052.html

I'd say do it for $35! I've heard great things about those, and have some old Pioneer Receivers, the SX-750 I'm using now, and love love love their stuff more than most other things I've used from that era. Even if you have to invest in a new stylus, $35 for a good, working Pioneer is a steal in my opinion!

Still a gamble at $35. Probably hasn't been used in a long time. Also, why would they take a picture of it with the dust cover not set properly? Makes it look like they may have a problem properly attaching it. This would be bottom end for Pioneer stuff. If it works fine, you'd have to test everything, then $35 is okay. 

I'd say do it for $35! I've heard great things about those, and have some old Pioneer Receivers, the SX-750 I'm using now, and love love love their stuff more than most other things I've used from that era. Even if you have to invest in a new stylus, $35 for a good, working Pioneer is a steal in my opinion!

Still a gamble at $35. Probably hasn't been used in a long time. Also, why would they take a picture of it with the dust cover not set properly? Makes it look like they may have a problem properly attaching it. This would be bottom end for Pioneer stuff. If it works fine, you'd have to test everything, then $35 is okay. 

Alright. So what should I be looking for when I go to check turntable out? Is there a mental checklist I should have? It might be a stupid question, but this is my first TT purchase. 

Speed accuracy, belt condition, check all controls work (speed change, cueing, etc), the stylus will likely need to be replaced but I would take a record I didn't care about and test how it sounds. Also checking that the auto functions work. Do you know how to properly set the tracking force? Adjust it before playing anything.

these are direct drive so there is no belt to check, but yeah check all that other stuff. I would suggest at least bringing a record you're familiar with as well to ensure that it sounds right, since there is no strobe on it to set the speed properly, nor do I think there is a pitch control to tinker with the speed. Speed issues can almost always be solved by cleaning the inside I've found. And if there's even minor details wrong with it, you may be able to get it cheaper. Follow your gut. If it seems to be not what you had in mind then pass, its never worth settling if you plan on using this for a while.