Is this setup on Craigslist a good deal?

Meh ... I'd say more like $100 - $125 tops - for the combo.  Did he say what the speakers are?

The table is okay.  Entry level, but you could do worse. It will play music, so there's that.

Yamaha has always made good gear as well, but that receiver looks fairly entry-level-ish as well.

You're not driving from Chattanooga to Charleston, SC to pick that up, are you?

In certain cases, I really like the vintage / used route.  I mean, that's how I got started in the hobby.  But I also tore through a lot of different (cheap) vintage gear because I was having fun experimenting and I kept itching for something better. I also had a little bit of disposable income and I was willing to spend it as I learned more and more about what really matters in audio.

What I'm trying to say is that if this is just a first step of many for you, I'd try to get the two pieces for cheaper.  Completed eBay sales for the Technics are all over the place, and I don't see anything near $170 for the receiver.

And if you're looking for something vintage that will make you happy for the next few years, I think that for not much more cash, you could do way better.

If it were me, I'd take a look at this Dual.  Probably the best of the idler wheel tables from the company: http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/3801018473.html

Of course, Duals aren't for everyone.  There's a lot of complicated parts underneath, but if you get one that has been serviced in the past couple years, I think it's a much better performer than some low-tier, run-of-the-mill direct drive.  Again, that's just my personal experience.  I like Duals.

This looks interesting.  Who knows about this guy - he could be insane for all I know - but might be worth a call.  Tell him that you're looking to spend about $200 for a turntable and receiver and see what sort of options he throws out there.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/ele/3839484778.html

the only advice i have is listen to bearchuck.

You are an extremely intelligent person and I predict that you will be quite successful in life.

Anyway, let me try to sum up my previously comments more succinctly...

To buy or not to buy really depends on what you want.  If this is a "first step" for you and you just want something to play around with for a while - and you don't mind spending $160 - then the decision to purchase is totally up to you.  I don't think it's great equipment, but it's not terrible either.

If you view this as something that should last you for the next few years, then I would hold off.  There are better deals for better gear out there.  You just need to be patient.

Hell, I'm thinking about selling some of my old gear ... for cheap.  Basically looking to get back what I paid for it.  I've got turntables, receivers and speakers.  And you're only a few hours away!

Yeah, I'm just looking for something relatively inexpensive right now, and I'm too busy right now to bargain hunt.  I went to listen to a few records on it today, and it actually sounds pretty good to my ears.  He put a new Audio Technica (which he valued at $100) cartrage on it that he's giving me, as well as the old cartridge he had for it.  The speakers he's giving me are MTS brand, and although I've never heard of that brand they sound pretty good.  Also, all of the equipment is in flawless condition, the anti-skate worked perfectly and the speeds were spot on.  I was pleased with the trial run I did of it today.  I may end up upgrading sometime in the future but don't have the time to hunt around now.