Ortofon 2m red & technics mk1210

rm

So I got the 2m red after seeing the reviews. I have been using a ortofon dj s on the concord cartridge (sorry I couldn't exactly find the stylus but its blue with an s on the side and a bright orange dj on top). I have been tracking this at 2.0.

Now compared to the 2m, the volume level of the ortofon dj is easily higher. Perhaps because it's a bit better? ( I know I paid more). So maybe the red wasn't the right buy

Anyone have the same experience or insight into this? I was looking for a definite upgrade without getting too ridiculous on price as the dj cart is pretty old and I'm just simply looking to explore for a better sound.

You seem to be equating loudness to quality. They aren't the same thing.

Use the 2m for about 10 hours to wear it in, and have a solid listen to its sound quality and it's own properties.

Then pop your old cart back on, and see what the difference is. Loudness doesn't matter when it comes to carts. That's why you have an amplifier :)

I run the 2m Blue on my 1200 and love it.  Give the Red some time to break in, you should be pleased with it over the DJ cart.  You might be so used to the DJ cart too that the new one sounds so different your mind is playing a trick on ya.  Like above run it for a while then switch back.  And the loudness thing is a non issue, if I want it louder I'll turn the dial.  I'd rather have the amp make the music louder than the cart anyways.