Ever drop the needle on something not vinyl?

I was just re-reading through this thread so when you say misaligned cantilever did you do it when you dropped the needle? and is it straight but off to one side or is it actually bent?

If it's actually bent I wouldn't use it at all and if it's off to one side you might be able to use it but it's still a risk.

If it's a conical or elliptical profile makes a difference as well as a conical will still track if it's a bit off but eliptical will be more affected.

I have straightened cantilevers that are just off to one side but it is a fiddly business and more luck than judgement and some just eventually go back if the suspension is damaged, it does really depend how far it's out because if it's just a little and depending on which way it's out you can sometimes pull it back over time by setting the anti skate to pull it back, although that might not be easy with a project as the anti skate is only adjustable in big jumps.

yes it depends on which direction your cantilever is biased toward but if you are lucky either adding or removing bias can pull it back.

It doesn't always work but it can't make it any worse unless you add it in the wrong direction and don't keep an eye on it. You quite often see cartridges pulled one way because someone has applied too much or too little bias over a period and it just pulls the cartridge suspension that way.

If you add or remove weight in very small amounts and watch the cartridge head on as it plays you can see the cantilever being pulled or pushed against the direction of the body of the cartridge.

It's all to do with the friction in the arm bearings and the forces pulling the arm toward the centre of the record as it plays. The main problem is cartridge suspension is delicate so the forces you are working with are very small.

very fine needle nose pliers or tweezers, a very steady hand and fine grip are the only way and then it is still a big gamble. I have done it using my finger nail and very gentle force but as I say it is a big gamble and I've never done it on a cartridge I am relying on only ones that have arrived on turntables already like it and I've got nothing to loose.

I would suggest the best thing you can do is get a replacement even if it isn't as high quality and then if you do attempt to straighten it and break it you at least still have music.