Good price on well used Technics SL-1200MK2?

A friend of mine is in the process of moving and selling some stuff he doesn't want/need anymore. Among them is a Technics SL-1200MK2 that he wants to get rid of since he hasn't been into vinyl for awhile. Cosmetically it's fairly rough with some scratches and gunk as it has been sitting in his garage for who knows how long but looks like it will clean up fairly nice, I don't even really mind about the scratches too much. I plugged it in and everything works fine except the little stylus light doesn't light up which I hear is a fairly easy fix. He didn't have a headshell or cartridge so I couldn't try it out but I think it'll work fine. He also doesn't have the dustcover but I can buy one on eBay or Amazon. Anyways, he offered it to me for $150 which sounds like a decent price but since I don't know a lot about them I don't really know how much "well used" ones are going for. Does this sound like a deal or should I keep looking? I can also probably stop by there tomorrow and take a few quick pics of it if that would help.

Around here a decent SL-1200MK2 is around $350, so $150 for a well used one doesn't seem so bad. However, I'm gonna have to agree with the previous poster. If you were my friend and the turntable was in that shape I would just give it to you as well if I knew you would make use of it.

The most I would ask of my friend is to buy me lunch or something. Now if he wants to pay me for it, that's on him. I wouldn't necessarily ask for a certain amount up front though.

• 2 weeks later...

These are excellent turntables. I have two of them. I bought them new when they first came out $650/each...that was over 10 years ago (damn, hard to believe that) and have taken great care of them and have held up amazingly. If it operates just fine then $150 for one of these in the condition you described isn't bad.

Don't just take my word for it. Guitar Center is selling this used for $550: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-TECHNICS-SL1200MK2-109482587-i3401422.gc

Price up what the parts will cost but also check the arm because if the bearings are worn and you discover anything else wrong then the costs to put it right start creeping toward one that was good in the first place. Make sure you check the speed stability and behaviour when you adjust the pitch

That said they do hold their value well so any SL1200 for $150 is a good start and you have to be lucky to find one being offered at that price regardless of condition.