Pioneer PL100 speed adjustment problems

Rip

Now, I've been collecting records for years.  I started out with a Crosley and then a couple years ago, realized my parents had an old Pioneer PL100 that just needed a new belt and a new needle and it workd just fine.  I bought a new belt for it I think about a year and a half/2 years ago and have been using that one ever since.  But lately I've been noticing it's becoming harder and harder to control the speed adjustment.  It keeps wanting to go backwards constantly which just distorts the sound and it takes quite a lot of messing around to get it to where I want it.  A while ago I thought it was the belt so I checked it out to see if it was starting to wear and if it was loose and at the time it didn't seem like it was too bad.

So pretty much what I'm asking is, do I indeed need to get a new belt for it?  This seems like such a simple and juvenile question but I'll admit when it comes to the ins and outs of these things, I'm at a loss.  It's just frustrating and I'm hoping the fix is as simple as a new belt.  And if that is the case, for those of you with belt driven players, how often do you recommend changing the belt?

It's one of these guys if it helps: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pioneer-PL100-Very-Good-Condition-Working-Video-/151159955412?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item2331d5dfd4#ht_7488wt_1054

I apologize again if this is a stupid/simple question.  I just don't have anyone else around here who knows about this stuff.

It's likely either the potentiometer in your pitch control or the motor needs to be lubricated. If you have some 3-in-1 oil, try to add a drop or two in the motor. You can access it from the top after you pull off the platter. Just make sure you don't get any oil where the belt contacts. Put the belt and platter back on and let it spin for an hour or so. The pot is harder to access but you could try working the control back and forth for a couple of minutes. Sometimes doing that will be all you need to free it up.

It could also be the belt, but if it looks okay and feels okay, I would try the other options. Maybe measure the belt to make sure it hasn't stretched too much.

Thanks a lot for the response man.  Yeah I'll try that thing with the oil.  And as for working the control back and forth for a couple minutes, that's what I usually have to do every time before I play anything.  That's one of the main reasons I want to get this fixed so I don't have to mess around with that anymore.  I just want to throw something on and that be it.  It feels like a damn chore every time I want to listen to something.

It's all over the place.  It always seems to want to go backwards more than anything though.  Like... I'll barely touch it and it'll go full speed backwards and then I'll work it and it'll go completely stationary or slowly move forward.  But then it'll go stationary and then go backwards again.  And this process continues (not necessarily in that order) for a few minutes until I finally seem to get it to work for the time being.  Sometimes, of course, as soon as I think I got it to work and go sit down, it'll decide to go crazy on me again.

If it's ok on 45 and it only has one speed control pot then the pot is ok and the problem is in the section of the power supply that deals with 33rpm. All electronics of this vintage has electrolytic capacitors that dry out with age so I expect that is where the problem is.

If you are ok with electronics fault finding or know someone who is then you will be fine otherwise you might want to move it on and replace it.

My uncle knows a lot about this stuff but he lives in Tennessee.  He actually visits fairly often though so I'll mention that to him the next time he's in town.  He may be around during Thanksgiving so I'll bring it up then.  Thanks for the reply by the way.  Hopefully I'll finally be able to get this figured out.