Upgrade Help required

At the time I ventured into playing records, I was on a ridiculously tight budget and so I have the shittiest setup ever! I currently have an ION Xpress(?) going through my 10 year old cd/casette hifi and it's shitty speakers. I'm sick to death of the static and generally shitty sound!

I've just got a new job, so have a bit more money to spend, so now's the time to upgrade. I'm not loaded by any means, so I'll probably need to upgrade in stages.

I've seen a load of people on here banging on about the Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntables, which seems okay, but was just looking for some advice on amps, speakers, and also, what order I'm best off upgrading in, if I do have to do it in stages.

Cheers in advance for any help.

The ion TTs are so cheap that they are likely to be damaging your records as you play them.

So the first upgrade is to stop any more damage.

There is a cheaper project than the carbon its called the elemental

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13708-project-elemental-turntable.aspx

The carbon however is of a standard that it can be a good basis for future upgrades like a better cartridge,

If you can afford it the carbon would be my buy

Go vintage for now if you want the best bang for your buck. Anything decently (e.g. Japan) made from the late 70s/early 80s should serve you well. Just make sure the turntable has a heavy base/plinth, heavy platter, counterweight adjustmnent, and anti-skate adjustment. I would personally look for something with a strobe and pitch control as well. Whether you want Direct Drive or Belt Drive an S-Shape arm or Straight Arm is up to you. They both have thier ups and downs.

Managed to find a good deal on the Carbon Espirit with the acrylic platter, so that's arriving tomorrow :)

This coupled with the Alexisonfire boxset is going to make it an expensive month!

Found a great deal on a Marantz 6005 amp & Wharfedale Diamond 121 speakers, which I've seen others recommending on here, so may look at getting those and asking for cash towards them, for my birthday next month.