Advice on Amp Purchase

I would like to spend no more than $150 on an amp/receiver (I'd actually love to spend more, but that is all I can afford right now). A friend of mine has a Yamaha HTR-6230 that is basically brand new that has been in storage and he's asking $150 for it. On the other hand I could buy something like a Nuforce Icon for a little less (about $120). I also saw some Yamaha HTR-6230 on ebay for around $100 but they looked to be in pretty used condition.

If anyone has any other thoughts or opinions on either of these or any other amp/receiver around my price range please let me know!

The Yamaha and the Icon are two totally different things so first I would decide what you actually want this bit of kit to do.

The Yamaha is an AV receiver for multi speaker surround use, so for amplifing DVD soundtracks etc. Not really hifi use.

The Icon is an attenuated stereo power amp for a single line level source like a computer or Ipod or CD player. It also needs high efficiency speakers

Unless you have a phono pre amp neither will be much use as an amplifier for vinyl, for both you will need to add a phono pre amp to bring the signal up to line level and the Yamaha isn't really intended for 2 channel stereo although being Yamaha it should do it better than some of the other AV amps out there.

If you want proper 2 channel stereo for vinyl then there are loads of good vintage integrated amps with built in phono stages in your price range, you just need to do a bit more research.

If you want multi channel AV then the Yamaha will do that well enough but 2 channel for vinyl will always be a compromise.

Thanks so much for the response! It might help to let you know what I'm working with. I'm using a Debut III, ART DJPREII preamp, and Pioneer SP-BS41 speakers. I know the yamaha is really intended for a home theater set up but I thought it might do the job switching it to a two speaker set up. All i'm looking to do is hook up what I have currently and play records with the best quality I can get for around $150 on an amp (I know that's probably an oxymoron but it' all I have sadly haha). I don't really need any other features so I thought that the icon could be a decent choice until I can afford something better. If you know of something better in my range please let me know, I've been researching since friday, and probably spent around 4 or 5 hours total and couldn't really seem to find much else in my range (Apparently I'm horrible at research, and don't really know where to start with vintage pieces other than Craig's list). Any advice would help!

OK that makes a bit more sense.

Yes the Yamaha will do what you want and its always going to be a compromise, but if you are not happy going vintage then it is a safer option.

Craigslist, ebay or thrift shops are a good place to start though if you go vintage, and there are some simple rules, heavy is good, go for a recognised 70's to 90's made in Japan item like Yamaha. Rotel, Pioneer etc. and most important buy with your ears. $150 with some digging should buy you something nice.

Have a search for Cambridge Audio any amplifier for them will do a very good job and there should be quite a few that are not that old and in your price range.

Find one you like the look of then do an advanced search in ebay for completed items to see what they sell for.

The Ion I haven't heard but it looks like a lot of the other amps of it's type around at the moment, whoever is behind it has put a bit of thought into it though as they are aiming you at a certain type of speaker which is probably because it isn't exactly powerful and needs easy to drive speakers, so unless you are running in monitor configuration with the speakers very close to you and each other it will probably be a bit underwhelming.

Thank you so much for the advice! I ended up heading up to bestbuy to see what they had and they told me that they didn't have any amps, and that I should check Radio Shack. I went there and the only Amp they had was a Radio Shack brand 250 Watt stereo PA Amplifier for $130 so I just picked that up to test it out, I figure if I don't like it I can take it back, also it does not require a preamp so I can sell that as well. Has anyone had any experience with this amp before? I just hooked it up and so far it sounds good.

Best buy and Radio shack probably aren’t the best places to try, open box at Amazon warehouse would probably be a better bet.

Some PA amps are very good but I'm not sure about a Radioshack one, I expect what you will get is loads of flat bass, loads of very bright treble and bugger all in the middle.

Also if it does actually produce 250w a side your Pioneer speakers probably won't like it as they are not designed for the sort of energy it will produce if you turn it up much. It wants to drive large PA cabinets with large bass speakers and big compression tweeters.

Also when you say it doesn't need a pre amp, a pre amp and a phono pre are two different things so be a bit careful there.

Older hifi amps are made up of 3 parts, the phono stage(often referred to as the phono pre and to bring the turntable signal up to the same level as everything else), the pre amp (for input switching and impedance matching) and the power amp(to make the noise). Newer ones jut tend to have the pre and power with no phono

High end systems tend to split the 3 into separate units.

What you have in your PA amp is a power amp with a attenuator and probably impedance matching so that you can run  a line level source (CD player, Tape or the output from your phono pre) straight into it.

I decided to return the Radio Shack amp, but I have no idea what to look for in an amp. Do I need to just worry about wattage (I know my Pioneer SP-BS41 speakers recommend 60-130 watts)? What features or specs are essential?

These are amps (First is a receiver) I've been looking at

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Natural-Stereo-Receiver-R-S201BL/dp/B00F0H88SY/ref=sr_1_34?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1392166280&sr=1-34&keywords=warehouse+deals+by+amazon

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1392166209&sr=1-1&keywords=warehouse+deals+by+amazon

http://www.compsource.com/pn/NFICONAMPBLACK/Nuforce-4429/Conceived-To-Operate-As-An-AudiophileGrade-Desktop-Power-Amplifier-NFICONAMPBLACK/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UL4AKI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1CV9B63VYHDWTRS29K7J&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I don't really need to blast it throughout an entire room, I just have my setup on a table in my office, and I listen to it while I'm on the computer, which is right next to the setup. Here is a photo.

DSCN1233_zps1496031c.jpg

The Yamaha is the closest to a hifi amp the others are either power or PA amps, but of the others the the one that is worst is the Pyle. The other two would do the job with the Icon being the least powerful which leaves the Yamaha or the Audiosource really.

I haven't heard most of them so can't give you a definitive answer and am going on instinct so perhaps someone who has some experience of them can chime in but if it were my money it would be a choice between the Yamaha and the Audiosource

If the built in Tuner is useful and you want to add things like a CD player and or tape deck then go with the Yamaha, it has plenty of inputs so will be more useful in the future but of not the Audiosource will do the job, it takes two sets of inputs so I guess you could run your phono pre and computer into it. 

By the way I couldn't see your picture before but you don't want all your kit on the same surface it will all interfere with each other.

Thanks for the advice, I actually plan to mount the speakers up on the wall and that amp is the one I'm taking back today.

Hard to say as I don't have any experience of either so I would go with whichever you are most comfortable with.

I just meant as far as the specs go, which would you think would produce better quality.

Question for anyone to chime in, and I understand the answer is "listen to both and use what sounds best", however I am looking for someone that might have experience with similar equipment. 

I already own a Musical Fidelity V90 LPS phono stage that I had been using to let me use my Marantz Slimline 1402 receiver with. 

I purchased a used Rotel RA2030 on a whim for a good price. 

Is there any advantage to using my Musical Fidelity Phono into the AUX of the Rotel, or will the internal Phono in the Rotel sound the same or better? 

side topic too, I inherited an extensive collection of classic vinyl that was well loved and well played and partied through the 60's and 70's, that being said what is the best way to wash, restore the collection at home?

thanks everyone

It's not the last word in high fidelity but at $25 it will more than do the job, it's also a good reference point to start from.

It's a perfectly good bit of kit for the money so at least you will have an idea in your head what your $25 sounds like. Also it's got a built in phono stage so I would give that a go as well.

Try and run with the EQ flat which is all the controls at midpoint and should be marked as 0 because this should be how all amps are made, the EQ or tone controls are intended to overcome acoustic errors in the room or your speakers so if you then try an amp without any EQ or tone controls there could be a big shift in sound if you have used the EQ on your Sony to compensate for the errors.