Thrift Store Technics Gear

I was at a thrift store today and they had a whole Technics set-up for $100. It was a stereo receiver, CD player, two-tape cassette deck, radio antenna/receiver thing, and two speakers.

I don't remember any of the specific model numbers, but in general is that a good deal? The set up I have now works for me, but if I could swap it out for all Technics gear that would be cool too and I could pass along my old gear to my sister.

I'm trying to decide if I should go back and buy it all.

Thanks for the input.

I was at a thrift store today and they had a whole Technics set-up for $100. It was a stereo receiver, CD player, two-tape cassette deck, radio antenna/receiver thing, and two speakers.

I don't remember any of the specific model numbers, but in general is that a good deal? The set up I have now works for me, but if I could swap it out for all Technics gear that would be cool too and I could pass along my old gear to my sister.

I'm trying to decide if I should go back and buy it all.

Thanks for the input.

Without knowing specific models, probably. If everything works, do it. Could always get your money back if you have to resell. 

you need to get some model numbers and do some research.

Technics and all the other far east manufacturers did make some very poor separate units which were not really separates to cash in on the hifi bandwagon, they were really all in ones that were split into separate boxes to make them look like separates.

One give away is if they are connected together by ribbon cables rather than proper RCA jacks and only one part has a power lead with the others getting their power over the ribbon cable.

you need to get some model numbers and do some research.

Technics and all the other far east manufacturers did make some very poor separate units which were not really separates to cash in on the hifi bandwagon, they were really all in ones that were split into separate boxes to make them look like separates.

One give away is if they are connected together by ribbon cables rather than proper RCA jacks and only one part has a power lead with the others getting their power over the ribbon cable.

Awesome advice, thank you. That's honestly something that I wouldn't really have put together. I didn't have time to go back today, but when I head back tomorrow (assuming it's all still there) I definitely wouldn't jump into it before researching everything. I don't want to throw down a bunch of cash on a hunk of junk.

I did notice RCA jacks, but I didn't look specifically for separate power supplies. I didn't spend a whole bunch of time with it, but after leaving it kept coming up in the back of my mind.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

If it's all got separate RCA jacks then that's a pretty good sign, some amps do have mains power outlets on the back but if each piece can be plugged directly into the mains and has RCA outs you should be ok, its just when they plug the separate bits together with ribbons that contain the audio and the power.

• 1 month later...