Need some clarifying

Not to confuse you any more, but your original post was correct. If your receiver has a phono input, you absolutely do not need a separate pre-amp. A receiver with a phono stage has all that stuff built inside of it.

Of course you can buy a separate pre-amp and connect it to one of your line inputs (aux, for example) on the receiver. Why would you buy a separate pre-amp? Well, depending on what you get, it could be an upgrade in sound compared to what's in the receiver.

All this stuff can definitely be tough to follow and there plenty of different configurations when it comes to setting up audio equipment. Here's the basic breakdown ...

* Turntable ---- > this is where it all starts. Unlike a CD player or mp3 player, your TT emits a fairly weak signal and needs an extra level of amplification.

* Preamp / Phono Stage ---- > exactly what it says. Your preamp is that previously mentioned "extra level" that pre-amplifies your TT's signal before it gets to the ...

* Amplifier (receiver) ---- > The last level of amplification and of course what powers your speakers.

* Speakers ---- > This is where music comes from, duh.

There are obviously other ways to get to where you're going, but if you have these four basic elements, you're off to a good start.

You should also check if you have a moving coil (MC) or a moving magnet (MM) cartridge. I have an MC and the user guide says that it does not require a phono pre-amp. I have it connected straight to the phono input on my amp. Though, the signal is a bit low compared to the other digital devices hooked up the amp.

You should also check if you have a moving coil (MC) or a moving magnet (MM) cartridge. I have an MC and the user guide says that it does not require a phono pre-amp. I have it connected straight to the phono input on my amp. Though, the signal is a bit low compared to the other digital devices hooked up the amp.
What you have written here is very incorrect and misleading. when you say "phono pre-amp" you must mean step up transformer which means your cartridge is a "High Output MC" that outputs signal levels near that of MM carts and therefore does not require any additional amplification beyond the most common phono pre-amps. You still have your turntable connected to a phono pre-amp, it is just built into your receiver.