Cat saves a boy from a dog

Wrap your children in bubble wrap, lock them indoors and turn on the TV gang.

Sorry Dave, I accidentally down voted your post. Although, I don't agree with your exaggeration. I'm not oblivious to the fact that shit can/will happen and I can't protect my kids from everything. I sure as shit wouldn't turn my back with my kid next to the road like that, sorry dude but I'm sticking to that.

I'm a hyper protective parent who also gets that kids need to explore and get a few bumps and bruises along the way. It pains me to let my kid have too much space but what's weird is how I think back to being 9 and having free reign to play in the woods across from my folks house and build huge forts along a stream bed. I played with axes and saws. Hammers and nails. I look at the trends in parenting and the fear we all have and I have no doubt why people 15 years younger than me feel so sheltered. The media proliferation has severely seeped into the public conscience. That women should probably block the end of her driveway with that SUV but a kid riding on a sidewalk that has been properly and repeatedly taught safety is going to be ok with a parent relatively close. I am constantly fighting to balance wanting to carry my kid through life and finding ways for him to develop self sufficiency and street smarts. 

Anyway, since I helped open the can of worms I'll be constructive and share this article that I found intensely interesting. It might not apply to the littlest of kids but it's a good read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/03/hey-parents-leave-those-kids-alone/358631/

I totally understand what you're saying and not to turn it into a weird gender thing but maybe it's just different with boys and girls. I have 2 girls only, my oldest just turned 7. I remember being 8 and shooting beer bottles with bb guns and building insanely dangerous bike jumps and forts in the desert with no supervision. Maybe I'm just being a bit over protective with my girls because if I had a son I think I'd probably feel differently. It seems like the woods/desert might be less dangerous than the suburbs without the human danger element lol.

Also, the owner of the dog was quoted saying their dog "Disliked Children and Bicycles". That person should be arrested for knowing they have an aggressive animal and failing to secure it properly. Let's place blame where it is due. 

That's fucked up if they already knew that about their dog.  I seriously doubt they were unaware that the neighbors next door had a child who probably has a tricycle (as every kid that age does).

Very sad. The fact that the mom was there in such short time shows how close she was. 

I have an uncle that was staying with my grandma and had a chow and it would constantly fight other dogs and attack my cousins who were around the ages of 5 to 12 at the time. I never really thought too highly of them. I have heard that they have a problem in being single owner dogs and need to be socialized more than other breeds. What it was doing out of it's house/yard I do not know and is the fault of irresponsible owners. 

I have a pit-mix and was worried that this was going to be another pit-bull bashing. My dog is a great dog and has been jumped by spitz/chow/husky/lab breeds multiple times. However many times when there is a dog attack it is labeled as a pit-bull whether that is it's breed or not. 

It is extremely sad that the dog had to be put down, but for every one of these a-hole dogs that thinks it's cool to jump kids on trikes, there are 10 others that are being put to sleep just because no one wants them. 

A pet peeve of mine is when people will adopt an animal because it has a deformity or was in an accident or something and they feel sorry for it so they adopt a 3 legged dog or whatever and my response is "so instead a perfectly fine 4 legged dog was put to sleep". 

Sorry for the rant. 

Oh and I parent better than all ya'll, and my dad can beat up your dad. My mom can beat up your mom too.