Ion USB Turntable on sale at The Source (CanaDUH)

In case anyone is interested in getting a new turntable or buying a turntable. The Source has it the Ion USB TT, on sale for today only for $129.99. Its for today only. Sale ends shortly. BUT he's the link!

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/circuitbreaker.aspx?language=en-CA

Some short info about Usbtt's, Numark makes the Ion, and also a higher quality version that they sell under the Numark name. The biggest difference is that the Numark has a metal plater where the Ion has a plastic plater. They also have a few other differences, but the biggest one that I noticed was that.

Anyway. Enjoy?

the numark version is cheaper than the ion on amazon if anyones interested

numark:

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-TTUSB-Belt-Drive-Turntable-Output/dp/B0014SG7XG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1209609838&sr=8-2

ion:

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iTTUSB-Turntable-USB-Record/dp/B000BUEMOO/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1209609838&sr=8-3

they also sell it at guitar center and matched amazons price for me...i was too impatient to wait for shipping

Even though this sale is done, Amazon doesn't ship electronics to Canada. You'd have to have a middle man, then get the middle man to ship to you. IMO, it would have been a better idea to grab it from the circuit breaker link. Which is no longer for the turntable :P

Today's sale is on speakers, maybe for your shiny new usbtt!

Guest scriptedrain

I have one of these that I've been considering selling. Barely used (maybe a few dozen times total), bought brand new last year. I'm having trouble getting sound out of both speakers, but I'm thinking it's the way I have it hooked up through a few different converters. Excellent condition, few stickers on it. Just posting in case anyone is interested in ripping vinyl and having a good lookin' turntable. I don't use it and we have a Sony one in the living room that actually does get used.

I unfortunately work for The Source. Don't buy this turntable, it's quite bad. Also, please stop buying things from the Source; give your money to another company.

I don't know what your talking about, I have an Ion and I love it. Only thing that bugs me is the tonearm doesn't automatically return. I have it hooked up through a receiver and a 5.1 speaker set up and it sounds beautifully. This is the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-10-Recording-Turntable-Audacity/dp/B000PZQPP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1209693664&sr=1-2

Everything is plastic. Bad built in pre-amp. Wayyy too much weight required for the stylus to sound fine. Straight tonearm is short, distorts inner-groove. S-tonearm doesn't allow for the two universal cartridge alignment points. etc, etc.

It's fine for those that merely want to plug it in via usb and record. Not recommended for those that listen to vinyl a lot and want quality longevity of their albums.

Also fine for those first getting into vinyl, but there are many other entry level turntables that I would recommend before ion/numark.

I would recommend staying away from the USB turntables. They're cheaply made, they stylus is sub-par, and your USB isn't really made for recording music. A better option is to get a good sound card for recording (I recommend the M-Audio 192, affordable and perfect for the job), get a decent stylus and and do it that way. Costs about the same, better results. And the crappy phone preamp.

Of course this method only works if you have a decent turntable and stylus to begin with. Bad in, bad out. As was mentioned earlier, cheaper decks and stylus' will distort on the inner tracks, and even worse, this distortion can cause permanent damage to your records.

Unfortunately, this is not limited to just these turntables, but many more of the cheaper decks. In analog, you really do get what you pay for. Also many people use DJ decks which are great for scratching, but not so much for hi fidelity audio.

The best thing I ever did was buy a Masterlink by Alesis. It's a stand alone digital recorder, and it makes ripping vinyl kinda like recording recording to cassette tapes.

I recommend selling a few rare records on ebay to buy some awesome equipment. I think I sold about six records and was able to buy a really good set up. You'll be far happier doing that than using a USB turntable.

I'm not trying to quibble, just a clarify a few things.

Audio distortion happens on all record players that use a tone arm, as you get towards in inside of a record. You use a protractor to set up your cartridge to minimize it. That distortion isn't going to hurt your records. Putting too much tracking force on your cartridge could.

What sucks about cheap tables is you can't adjust any of that.