What the eff is causing a hum and distortion?

you might need to isolate the problem first, like is the problem in the preamp or the amp itself. Assuming the receiver has a phono channel, plug straight into that and see if it persists...if so, its the amp, if not then it should be the preamp, or a connection from a to b. Also try the simple changing out the wires. Change out the speaker wire, try another rca cable for chaining your setup, be able to throw those possibilities out right away. I've tinkered with stuff for a while before finally realizing the cable I had went south and I could have saved lots o time!

Does it happen on every channel for the receiver or just when you are playing your turntable? 

Every channel being affected is going to be something as simple as using contact cleaner to get the inputs and pots all cleaned up, or it could be a blown capacitor on the powerboard, among others depending on the engineering of the amp. If its just on the phono channel, then that makes it easier since just one thing is affected. Isolate first and go from there! Once you find out which component of the setup it is, it will make research in regards to it way easier too when you can include the component affected in your searches. Good luck! 

Speaker wire and RCA cables are brand new. The receiver does not have a phono port, simply 3 different analog ports. I've tried all 3 ports and get the same results. My CD player which is connected to one of the other free RCA ports gives me no trouble.

When I power on the preamp it usually starts emitting a sporadic hum and any record with even the slightest bit of bass sounds like absolute shit.

Hard to diagnose without hearing it but if it's not a cable or the cartridge then its a dead or dying capacitor going down to earth somewhere possibly. The JD9 is valve (tube) so it could also possibly be a dying valve but it's more likely a passive component like a capacitor or resistor

How long have you had the phono stage? Can you return it?

Another tidbit of info that may be pertinent—sometimes the Jolida doesn't power on immediately. You have to unplug it from the surge protector and plug it back in or sometimes completely remove the power cord from the outlet and preamp, then plug it back in to get power.

Could be the transformer failing in the Jolida.

If it's having power up issues then that's a good place to start. It has a solid state power supply so it's not a valve rectifier going home which was my initial thought from the symptoms but by the sounds of things the power supply area seems most likely and you are going to need to get it properly looked at.