High pitched feedback on any setup

As long as I've had a turntable, I've had a high pitched whining feedback that comes and goes. It's relatively quiet but can get louder with volume. At its worst it sounds like a screaming feedback. Ground cable is perfectly connected. When I had a separate pre-amp plugged in, I would eliminate it by unplugging the pre, but when I got my new receiver, I thought the problem was mostly eliminated, but I'm noticing it even more today. Goes away when I switch inputs.

My setup is currently a Debut Carbon into a Pioneer SX980 receiver to HPM 100 speakers. Also plugged into the receiver is an HDTV that my Macbook Pro is plugged into as a monitor.

Yesterday I had my MacBook plugged into a different HDTV to play a movie, and I heard the feedback very faintly every so often. I discovered later on that it was coming from a pair of unconnected powered speakers sitting behind the TV which leads me to think the computer was acting against speakers somehow? My HPMs are passive. 

This thread is kind of overdue for me. If I'm not listening I usually don't hear the feedback but it's ruined some quiet passages of music for me- it just sounds like screaming. Google has produced no results for me so here we are.

If you're getting it when your MacBook is plugged into a TV and when you're turntable is plugged into your stereo, that's weird.  I assume the powered speakers, while not connected, were powered on?  Do you have florescent lights in this room?  What about cell phones or wireless routers?

Can you record the sound you're hearing?

The powered speakers were turned on. Turned them down and the disturbance went away. But now I'm hearing it when playing records in my room. There's Christmas lights around the ceiling. I have a fluorescent light bulb in my closet... Always have my phone in the room.

I've considered trying to record the sound but it's difficult because it's random. Now that I've made a thread I'll see what I can do for it.

The fact that your powered monitors pick it up make me think it's more likely cable borne through and probably mains cable borne so do you have a filter in line?

It's also possible the cartridge could be picking up air borne interference so try the phono input without the TT plugged in, this will tell you if it's the amp picking it up or the TT. 

Then as xxmartinxx has said it's about moving things around until you can get it to go away.

You say it's intermittant though so is it is something that isn't always in the room or powered on

Tried filming a vid and you can barely hear the feedback, though you definitely could when I was filming it.

I had an interesting phenomenon, I turned the receiver all the way up to try and get the scream out of it, and slowly like microphone feedback into a PA, a moan kind of came quietly and slowly got louder and louder like low end feedback. It sounded bad to the point of not wanting to do it again.

2nd and 3rd attempts to record the feedback have been fruitless. It's so high pitched that it's near impossible to hear.

• 1 year later...

I don't know dude, you should either take it in to have a professional look at it or just ditch it and get something new or vintage without a tuner. I had an old pioneer with a tuner and it would pick up radio stations even when I was on the phono input at loud levels. To me I didn't want to deal with all that and just bought a new integrated amp.