What the hell am I doing?

So I'm relatively active on other sections of this website and I've seen lurking this one for a while now - and really I'm sort of overwhelmed... but wanting to learn.

I'm looking to slowly build a better set up but with money / space being an issue I'm not totally sure what to do and when.

So here is a brief overview of my set up(s) so far.

Like five? or so years ago an ex-girlfriend bought me crosley (don't worry I said 'ex').

It didn't take me long to learn that was NOT the way to go so within a few months I was able to sang a table from one of my dads old stereos:  That was a Kenwood KD-47F which being old and not super well maintained for a while now had loads of problems... being full automatic and all. The auto-start would come down too slow and it would be a few seconds into a record before you'd get anything out of it and it would periodically just stop spinning for whatever reason. I tried fixing / replacing a few parts on this before deciding to look for something new.

From there I tried out the U-Turn Orbit table with the Grado Black1 cartridge and acrylic platter. 

I know I probably could have gotten a Pro-Ject at that price... but it is what it is at this point.

SO all of that is being run through a receiver I bought off my uncle - which is a Sony STR-DE525 which I think is for a surround sound even? So I'm pretty damn sure that needs to go..

I HAD some decent floor speakers with access to even nicer ones but I no longer have the room for them so I picked up some crappy like $90 sony bookshelf speakers - don't even know what model but I could look it up if I needed to.

Basically - I have an idea of what needs to be replaced - but with so damn much on the market I don't know what to get or from where.

TLDR:

I currently have a U-Turn Orbit Plus with a Grado Black1 cartridge on a Sony STR-DE525 A/V receiver and some shitty bookshelves and need to know what to upgrade first and to what.

Before some jerk off points you to the "Don't Buy A Crosley!" thread, what's your budget?

I'm fully aware of that thread - I bought my headphones based on the advice in there and sort of based my turntable choice off of it...

but that is more or less a list of pieces to a system - not what works the best with what else.

I don't totally have a "budget" per say. I'm looking to buy stuff one piece at a time.. I assume I'd be spending like $250 - 300 or so on each piece? My table was like $320 which is more or less what I'm looking to put into each upgrade. I'd probably be willing to spend more - $400 a piece? 

Someone tell me if I'm being unrealistic - please.

So you're asking for advice on what to upgrade first it seems, right? Just trying to clarify.

Speakers are your best long term investment and have a critical effect on sound quality so I would look at that first. Your U-turn is a big step up over a Crosley so stick with that for a while I'd say until your other components are in order. And while the sony receiver may not be the best, it will still do the job for most pairs of speakers out there for a stereo set up, even if it is capable of surround sound.

The thing is it's tough to recommend speakers blindly over the net as each brand has a different house sound or timbre that makes them unique and different from one another. For around $400 you can get the Definitive Technology SM45 speakers which are great for the price and sound very clean and accurate IMO... But obviously there's a lot out there. A lot of people on this board seem to really like the Epos Epic 2 bookshelves for about the same price, I have heard them a few times and think that they do sound pretty good as well. Any chance you have a hifi shop or Magnolia inside of a Best Buy around you that can audition anything for you?

So you're asking for advice on what to upgrade first it seems, right? Just trying to clarify.

Speakers are your best long term investment and have a critical effect on sound quality so I would look at that first. Your U-turn is a big step up over a Crosley so stick with that for a while I'd say until your other components are in order. And while the sony receiver may not be the best, it will still do the job for most pairs of speakers out there for a stereo set up, even if it is capable of surround sound.

The thing is it's tough to recommend speakers blindly over the net as each brand has a different house sound or timbre that makes them unique and different from one another. For around $400 you can get the Definitive Technology SM45 speakers which are great for the price and sound very clean and accurate IMO... But obviously there's a lot out there. A lot of people on this board seem to really like the Epos Epic 2 bookshelves for about the same price, I have heard them a few times and think that they do sound pretty good as well. Any chance you have a hifi shop or Magnolia inside of a Best Buy around you that can audition anything for you?

What to do first is certainly one of my main questions - sorry to ramble.

I assumed speakers would be up there.

I'm like 10 minutes outside of Chicago and I've seen / been in a few hifi shops around here but am just so uneducated in these things that I just sort of looked around like an idiot without much idea of what anything there was... should really learn to actually ask people questions, huh?

And according the Magnolia website there are quite a few best buys with them around here as well as Magnolia design centers? I assume that's their flag ship?

This is all super helpful.

Yeah any magnolia is a good start, the design centers will carry not only premium brands like the regular magnolias but also the flagship models of those brands, it's just a bigger assortment basically. Beware that if you buy from a design center it can only be returned to a design center, whereas a magnolia home theater item can be brought back to any best buy store.

But yeah, your best bet is to let them know you wanna hear some speakers, let them know your budget and have them show you some options. Bring a CD or flash drive or phone cable with mp3s or flac files or whatever so you can actually hear the music you like on them before you make any buying decision. That pretty much goes for any shop you go to!

I'm not an expert, but I'll try to help. I agree with Yanquiuxo, I think that your priority should be to upgrade your speakers right now. In my opinion, it's Turntable>Speakers>Receiver. Since you have a pretty decent turntable, then you should be worrying about upgrading your speakers.

I'm a cheap bastard, so I only know about budget speakers. A lot of budget speakers can sound great, in my opnion.

From what I've heard, these Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers are really good:

Bookshelf Speakers ($127):

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

or

Floorstanding Speakers ($127 EACH):

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

I've seen the prices for those speakers lower a few times on amazon, you just need to check daily. I think I've seen the Pioneer Floorstanding Speakers go for $87 each before.

If you want to go cheaper, then I would recommend going on Craigslist and looking for used speakers. But remember to approach Craigslist with caution, and always test out something before you buy it. Just use common sense, and you'll be fine.

Here's a thread that you might want to check out. This for Floor Standing speakers, though.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=7697181

I'm partial to the Boston Acoustics series, since I own a pair of A70s. Boston Acoustics A40, A70, A100, A150 are all great.

Here's another link that might help guide you on what to look for. Just read the first post.

http://www.theb9.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=925591#.U94Ks6OTG8A

Hopefully I was able to help some. Like I said, I'm not an expert, and I'm not trying to mislead you, but this is just knowledge based off of research that I did a few months ago when I was looking for some speakers on a budget. So, if anyone sees anything wrong, then feel free to correct me.

Yup. B&W 803D speakers, McIntosh Mc500 preamp, dual McIntosh Mc601 Monoblocks, McIntosh MCD-500 CD player, Marantz TT-15 turntable. Plus nice cables.

I might have said this before but just because someone has the means to use this stuff (in this case a shop) it doesn't qualify them in how to use it. Mind you at least in a shop you would expect them to be able to make a 50k system sound right.

Well what's funny is that there's a B&W office here. And whenever the 800 Diamond series are purchased, the rep does the installation, calibration, etc. You'd think they would do it for the show room too.

I strongly believe in diminishing returns in audio. My best friend's system (all Mc gear and an Avid Diva II with Sound Smith Carmen) originally had Triad Silver Monitors. One of the best sounding systems I've ever heard. He then upgraded to Tyler Acoustics D1s and I thought it sounded worse!

The B&W guys here used to be superb, I used to deal with them a lot because they were the Nakamichi service agent for the UK but I haven't dealt with them in a good while now.

Yes the rule that actually holds true in audio is the law of diminishing returns and also at the top it's generally not a matter of better or worse just different but it's still very easy to get it wrong at the top if the stuff doesn't gell together.

Not just a Magnolia Home Theater, but it has to be a Magnolia Design Center where they have the much higher end stuff. My store recently partnered up with a local design center and put together an $85,000 theater for a client that just moved into the area. I was there to help out and coordinate some of the installation and when it was all done, it was freaking AWESOME

Not just a Magnolia Home Theater, but it has to be a Magnolia Design Center where they have the much higher end stuff. My store recently partnered up with a local design center and put together an $85,000 theater for a client that just moved into the area. I was there to help out and coordinate some of the installation and when it was all done, it was freaking AWESOME

That's a whole other thread.

If I ever get a more long-term residence I'll go insane building a home theater...

Kinda interested in the specifics of the system and room if possible.  I'm guessing if a team did a room for a client, some decent thought went into putting this system together.  Please share details if possible...I'm curious what got put together.

The theater was about 75% of the total cost... The entire proposal was composed of: MartinLogan Summit speakers and Sony ES 4k projector, almost half the total cost... ML Stage X for the center channel. The surround back and wide weren't really anything special, two pair of Electromotion FX2 I'm pretty sure. Two B&W ASW10 subs as well(7.2). We had a custom Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen cut for him at about 152"... For an AVR I think he did the Denon AVR4520, and he had some niles amps already to power speakers other rooms throughout the house. Two rows of 4 motorized reclining theaterseats to top it off.

The rest of the cost was put into a Control4 home automation system throughout 6 rooms, that's where I was helping most throughout as I was not involved much in the theater install to be honest. But I was there when it was all done and he had us watch part of a movie and run through a few different demos and everything looked and sounded pretty amazing...

The theater was about 75% of the total cost... The entire proposal was composed of: MartinLogan Summit speakers and Sony ES 4k projector, almost half the total cost... ML Stage X for the center channel. The surround back and wide weren't really anything special, two pair of Electromotion FX2 I'm pretty sure. Two B&W ASW10 subs as well(7.2). We had a custom Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen cut for him at about 152"... For an AVR I think he did the Denon AVR4520, and he had some niles amps already to power speakers other rooms throughout the house. Two rows of 4 motorized reclining theaterseats to top it off.

The rest of the cost was put into a Control4 home automation system throughout 6 rooms, that's where I was helping most throughout as I was not involved much in the theater install to be honest. But I was there when it was all done and he had us watch part of a movie and run through a few different demos and everything looked and sounded pretty amazing...

When I grow up I want a job like yours.

Oh bugger I am supposed to have grown up where's the reset button?