What does a worn out record sound like?

Take a deep breath.

Don't panic, I've got records older than me that play fine because they were looked after and played all their lives on decent kit, I was 46 the other day to give you a frame of reference..

If you are looking after stuff it's a worn stylus you are more likely to hear and that's what tends to wear records out, that and misaligned cheap crap record players.

The highs go first and then the distortion spreads down the frequency spectrum.

Don't panic, I've got records older than me that play fine because they were looked after and played all their lives on decent kit, I was 46 the other day to give you a frame of reference..

If you are looking after stuff it's a worn stylus you are more likely to hear and that's what tends to wear records out, that and misaligned cheap crap record players.

The highs go first and then the distortion spreads down the frequency spectrum.

Good to know and glad this was asked, I was curious about that too.

I have bought the odd second hand record that is well worn.

The distortion is what i noticed more than anything else particularly on the innner tracks.

the inner tracks can get worn first and this is a sign that what they were played on was very poor quality and very badly aligned. There is groove side wear and wear from running too heavy and usually this is a sign of both.