Beogram 1800 Repairs

So I have an old Beogram 1800 automatic turntable. The belt is broken and because it's been sitting in an attic who knows what else might be wrong with it. I took it to an old electronics repair shop and he said he'd be able to do it but he would charge $20 for the belt and $70 labor. I assume that's very over priced but I've never worked on TT's so I feel I could do more harm than good. I have a couple questions, is this table worth $90 (minimum) in repairs, and would this be an easy job to do at home? Also I looked up belts and couldn't find anywhere to get this kind. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I wouldn't bother with it.  Even assuming you could source and replace the belt by yourself with minimal cost.  Is the cart any good? If it's not, good luck replacing it at a reasonable price.

I'm sure if you look hard enough, you will find somebody who disagrees, but I would just throw it on CL as non-working and go find something else.

I did  quick Google search for you and found that a lot of people have a lot different problems with this TT. Also read some complaints about the table as a whole, generally regarding weak, poor quality parts.

That said, if it does only need a belt, you should be able to find one online or at a local recordshop that does TT repairs for under $20 and replace it yourself, it's not a labor intensive process; for most turntables you just pop the platter off and slip the belt on, easy-peasy.

As Tardcore said though, you'll want to check out the other components as well. Carts can run you a pretty penny, and you may be better off just getting a different TT.

I did  quick Google search for you and found that a lot of people have a lot different problems with this TT. Also read some complaints about the table as a whole, generally regarding weak, poor quality parts.

That said, if it does only need a belt, you should be able to find one online or at a local recordshop that does TT repairs for under $20 and replace it yourself, it's not a labor intensive process; for most turntables you just pop the platter off and slip the belt on, easy-peasy.

As Tardcore said though, you'll want to check out the other components as well. Carts can run you a pretty penny, and you may be better off just getting a different TT.

Thanks for the quick replies! I decided I won't pay for him to do the repairs and I'll see if I could purchase the belt from the same man, I'm not sure though if he'll do that without him doing the repair. While I know it might not be worth it, I think it's a very nice looking TT so I figure I'll put $20 into it for the belt and lubrication and if it doesn't work or it needs a new cartridge (which my father said it got very little use so maybe it will be fine), I'll call it quits. I'll let yall know how it goes and if I can get it up and running again. Thanks!

As said before the cart is the big thing with all B&O's as they are specific and either impossible to find or expensive or both.

If it's just the belt then do it and if you measure the sub platter that the belt drives around that will give you the size, once you have the size you can search ebay etc. by size and get one for a few bucks.

they are a piece of cake to fit and the only easy job any B&O equipment.

B&O is very interesting looking kit but save for a couple of decent sounding bits of kit on the whole they sound nowhere near as good as they look, style over substance, but whereas it used to be peanuts to buy as people had wised up to the hype there is a whole new generation falling for it now so you can get very good money for good working B&O stuff.