PO: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy Singer's Grave a Sea of Tongues 9/24/14

Upon doing some research, it seems that the Barely Regal EP is record store exclusive for stores that have direct accounts with Drag City (ie not via another distro).  I'm gonna snoop around north jersey, and maybe even swing into manhattan one night and check some stores.  If anyone comes across an extra, I might be interested in paying for a copy + shipping.  MIGHT.

Noted, thank you.

I am also not super excited about reworking of Wolfroy tracks - I find that record super boring, but I love Greatest Palace Music, so who knows. 

I have been legitimately trying to collect every Will Oldham related release for years. Anyone have any crazy collections?

I have a stupid collection too.. I haven't hit the level of nerder-y needed to lay them out and take photos yet, but maybe soon. Oldham, Mike Kirsh, Modest Mouse, and J Church are where the hits are.

also finally spinning this.  bpb is incredible.  new black rich is a beaut of a song.  my opinion on the record: oldham's present bpb covered bpb songs from 3 years ago.  it really provides a different perspective on former lyrics / constructions.  overall, the record has a great feel and flow.  crisp recording.  never a disappointment.

OK, a nightmare came true. DHL online status says, delivered this morning. But nobody was here - it is gone. Sad but true.

I still hope that the DHL guy just delivered that one wrong.

That has happened to me before but I ended up getting the package. Try giving it another day if you can.

I picked up the deluxe today (Reckless Records in Chicago), spinning it now for the first time. The revisions aren't as drastic as Greatest Palace Music. Indeed, they fit the mood of the original songs very nicely, with just a bit more comfy instrumental parts. Not nearly as adult-contemporary as What the Brothers Sang, which was my fear. There are a couple other variations on earlier tracks (An incredible version of "Whipped" from that 10-inch... "Old Match" is "No Match" and the title track is "Black Captain" with new lyrics) and a few new songs. The deluxe 2LP came with a poster too. 

The 12" ''Barely Regal" EP has two songs not on the iTunes singles also: Drake/Rihanna's "Take Care" and the Everly Brothers' "I'm On My Way Again."

First post here, I hope to check it out. Breeze, I refer to your BPB album guide often. 

Ryoanji, I like the name. I've been there a few times.

But I really don't think Oldham could do 'adult contemporary' if he tried. I listened to an interview, it might have been on NPR, where he talked about some of the selections for WtBS. His take on why he chose Milk Train was very funny. I must get around to finishing that guide in the next couple of weeks. I only have about four entries to go before it's up to date.

That was perhaps a bit harsh. I didn't like the arrangements/production—I thought it a bit overly polished. Anyway, really loved Singer's Grave on first listen, although I am so curious as to what the motivation was to do this. 

My name was chosen as a reference to the John Cage piece, which clearly must reference the temple. 

Here's my mini blog of articles about Oldham/BPB/Palace if anyone's curious. A live review, a couple individual track reviews, and other minutiae which I haven't added any entries to in a long time. I was actually working on one about the iTunes singles, which now will have to be adapted. I guessed right that they added up to an EP in the lineage of More Revery, Ask Forgiveness (and maybe even Now Here's My Plan). http://themajesticplural.blogspot.com

Yeah, sorry, wasn't meant to be. Sounded conversational in my head, but I suppose it reads antagonistic.

thanks for the link, will check it out.

Heh... I meant my own characterization of 'Brothers' as adult-contempo was harsh. :-P

Spinning 'Barely Regal' again now -- the vinyl sounds way better than the iTunes files, surprise.