Household Repairs Thread

I'm also done with having a garden. It's way too much work compared to that you can get an entire meal's worth of veggies at the store for under a dollar.

I understand some people like gardening. To me it's another chore. I have just kept it up because the house had a garden when I moved in.

I'd rather get it this year. It's not to late to plant grass seed, right?

no, i have heard the best time to plant is late summer early fall.  supposedly you get the grass started and during the winter months you build a good root system, then BAM you have some healthy grass in spring.  also the reason for the crabgrass is because it has room to grow.  this is all stuff i have heard people say.  i am going to try and plant this fall.   if you are going to plant i would first thatch your lawn and then rent a slit seeder.

I'm also done with having a garden. It's way too much work compared to that you can get an entire meal's worth of veggies at the store for under a dollar.

I understand some people like gardening. To me it's another chore. I have just kept it up because the house had a garden when I moved in.

pretty sure the season has ended for this???  i think your best bet is to shop around at lowes/home depot or a garden center and see if they still have the plants for sale.  i'm 99% sure you can't start a garden with seeds, so you need to have an established plant you can transplant.  pretty sure that window is closing fast on that as well.  i plan on starting a 4x4 bed next year and hopefully expanding to a bigger bed the following year if everything goes well.

Where in the world do you buy groceries? It costs $3 for a head of broccoli at the store. Peppers are $2 each. Even a damn cucumber is a $1 these days. I planted nine broccoli plants for $3.25. Brought in the first harvest today. Already paid for itself. And the spinach did too. Now waiting on the cukes, peppers, and peas.

I go to a local fruit market. I large bell peppers were 4 for $1 the other day. Everything else was comparably priced.

What I'm paying might be on the low end, but yours are almost certainly on the high end.

That is an awesome deal on peppers. Our farmer's markets cost more than the grocery stores. I guess I could drive 15 miles to Aldi and get scrappy produce for dirt cheap.

I kind of agree. I put together a garden each year with mixed results. For the amount of money I spend on transplants and soil I could have probably just purchased vegetables more cheaply from a local farmers market or grocery store. However, it is rewarding when the plants yield a good amount of vegetables. I continue to do it for the personal satisfaction, because it's probably not as cost effective as I'd like it to be.