Cartridge Dorks- Opinion on Ortofon Quintet Red?

ajxd

I just got a Quintet Black, moved up from a Vivo Blue. I also own a 2M Blue, have owned a 2M Bronze and heard the other 2M cartridges. I'm awful with describing what I like in audio but I found the Vivo Blue better than the 2M Blue but not quite as detailed as the 2M Bronze. The 2M Black is fantastic but isn't close to the Quintet Black. I'm not sure how much any of this helps but if you have a 2M Blue, I think the Quintet Red may be a sideways move. I will say the Quintet was a dream to install and align.

I can vouch for the Naggy's but the new prices are very high for what they are considering they are exactly the same as the original range but with a 0 on the end of the model number and different colours. You can still pick up NOS original MP15 or 20 styli every now and then and both are very good carts but obviously not MC, the MP10, 15 and 20 bodies are identical

I've also been looking at Benz for a good while now and thought they went belly up a while ago but they seem to be available again so I'm going to treat myself for Christmas I expect, they used to do a superb trade in thing where the replacement cost after the initial outlay was something like 20% which I doubt they do any more. I've not seen a bad review of them but have never heard one so am still not sure.

I was looking at an Ace a while ago which comes in 3 different output levels but this was around the time they just disappeared so ended up spending the money elsewhere. Now i'm looking at a Gold which is a bit lower down the food chain and at around £265 here might be a little over budget but have a look around as you could get a deal and there is also the Silver which is the high output version.

If I get one first I will let you know how I get on.

A customer came in today and told me that he was comparing the 2M Blue and Quintet Red. He said it wasn't close, the Quintet Red was much better. But he also says he prefers the Denon DL-103 which you say you don't like. I think he's using the new Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable but not sure about his phono stage. 

I should have mentioned before, I work for an Ortofon dealer but we only carry the 2M series. 

Not the best news. My 15 year old cat (Orange one in profile pic) started having behavioral changes. Found out his kidneys aren't functioning as they should. He had life threatening levels Friday. Luckily with my resources in my work field, I've been able to pump a lot of IV fluids in him at home and change him to a speciality diet. We'll see!

I can vouch for the Naggy's but the new prices are very high for what they are considering they are exactly the same as the original range but with a 0 on the end of the model number and different colours. You can still pick up NOS original MP15 or 20 styli every now and then and both are very good carts but obviously not MC, the MP10, 15 and 20 bodies are identical

I've also been looking at Benz for a good while now and thought they went belly up a while ago but they seem to be available again so I'm going to treat myself for Christmas I expect, they used to do a superb trade in thing where the replacement cost after the initial outlay was something like 20% which I doubt they do any more. I've not seen a bad review of them but have never heard one so am still not sure.

I was looking at an Ace a while ago which comes in 3 different output levels but this was around the time they just disappeared so ended up spending the money elsewhere. Now i'm looking at a Gold which is a bit lower down the food chain and at around £265 here might be a little over budget but have a look around as you could get a deal and there is also the Silver which is the high output version.

If I get one first I will let you know how I get on.

The Gold is a very good cartridge, in fact, I haven't heard better in it's price range. I have found that it sounds best in high mass suspended turtables. I have an ACE on my Sota Sapphire & would not hesitate to recommend the Gold as it posseses all of the most important qualities of a M.C.